Retrieving Data from an iPhone in Recovery Mode

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Ash9414, Oct 12, 2011.

1. Ash9414 macrumors 6502

Earlier today I was trying to open the App Store on my iPhone 3G when the phone suddenly crashed and attempted to reboot. Upon doing so, the recovery mode screen asking to connect the phone to iTunes came up and so now I can't access any of my data.

Does anyone know how to get text messages, pictures, notes etc off the phone without restoring it? I haven't backed up my phone for about 2 months now.

I'm not sure if it makes a difference, but my phone is jailbroken on iOS4.1.

Any help would be very much appreciated, I really don't want to lose everything; I have text messages that are very important to me.

Thanks.

2. JunkyDog macrumors 6502

Google is your friend here, search for iPhone Explorer, and download it, connect your iPhone, and start backing up your data, then whatever suits you, restore or jailbreak again with redsnow..

3. Ash9414 thread starter macrumors 6502

I already tried iPhone Explorer, but it won't detect the iPhone because it's in Recovery Mode. :/

4. JunkyDog macrumors 6502

use TU to kick it out of recovery mode, should help..

5. Ash9414 thread starter macrumors 6502

How would I go about doing that? And if I get it out of Recovery Mode, wouldn't it work normally anyway? :/

6. Ash9414 thread starter macrumors 6502

I still haven't managed to find out what TU is. :/ Any help?

7. Ash9414 thread starter macrumors 6502

8. mana2326 macrumors newbie

There is an "Exit Recovery" button in TU.
    I've never done it myself so I can't tell you more...

9. Ash9414 thread starter macrumors 6502

Oh ok, thank you. So does anyone know if this still keeps all your data on the phone? I don't want to lose it. :(

10. mohammedmanyed macrumors newbie

Here is the solution!

This happened to me too. I tried updating to iOS 6 through my iPhone4. The update was almost finished when suddenly my screen went black. Then when I turned it on it showed a USB going into iTunes. I plugged it in and it said my iPhone was in recovery mode.

What I did was download iOS 6 on iTunes on my computer( may need to update iTunes). Then I pressed "restore and update iPhone" on iTunes and it worked.

(iOS 6 may take a while to download, it took me 8 hours but I do have slow Internet)