Retrieving deleted files?! HELP!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jaathan, Dec 23, 2007.

1. jaathan macrumors newbie

Hi I am in a really stressed out position because i accidently threw a very important PSD file into the trash bin and now my mac at work has been reformatted to Leopard. The mac at work has been reformatted because the finder was having problems opening certain folders or any kind of drives connected to it (it was on panther). I thought i have backup the file but I didn't. I worked on the PSD for two months and now its gone, completely. Does anyone of you mac experts know how to get the file back? Is it retrievable? and if so with which program? Is there a shareware or freeware for this? I'm completely stressed out, any help will be greatly appreciated.

Nathan C.
    Merry Christmas

2. M@lew macrumors 68000

M@lew

1) Time Machine but I don't think that's an option.

2) There are ways to recover the file, but you must STOP using the computer you trashed it on straight away. Because as you use it, there's a less and less chance you can get it back. Someone else will need to help you out with the steps here, but there are certain programs.

3. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

You can try something like Data Rescue II to look for it, but the chances of an app like that being able to find your data after a complete reinstall of the OS are vanishingly small, depending on how the OS installation was done. Your data is almost certainly gone...sorry. :(