Retrieving deleted files?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Everhard, Aug 8, 2014.

1. Everhard macrumors newbie

Guys I took the hard drive out of a 2010 macbook pro and put it in a external closure because the logic board was bad. Anyway I was copying docs, pdfs, etc to my windows pc and by mistake hit delete of a folder I needed.

So, anyway to retrieve the deleted files?

2. nostresshere macrumors 68030

If you are moving hard drives around, I would think you would... nevermind.

Go to trash and click on folder, the click PUT BACK.

3. Everhard thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, I am dumb. I went to the recycle bin and the folder is showing but it will not restore. Could it be because of the size? The size is larger than 2 gb.

4. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

Ummm, go into the folder in the Trash and click on individual file(s) and Put Back - does that work??

5. Everhard thread starter macrumors newbie

No that does not work. It is a complete folder that I deleted that totals over 2 gb, but the thing is I only need the doc, txt, pdf, and jpeg files out of it. If a folder is in the recycle bin you cannot open that folder in the recycle bin and choose which to recover.

6. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

Ok...Open the folder (I have just done it on mine), copy any files you want. Navigate to wherever you want them. Paste.

Agreed you can't Put Back without the folder structure to Put Back to.

7. Everhard thread starter macrumors newbie

It is still not working the way you suggested. Did you open yours on a windows pc? I am on a windows pc with a external hard drive from a macbook pro. I deleted the folder from the macbook pro, so when I did the deleted folder went into my windows pc recycle bin.

8. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

Ah - no I am on OSX - real easy there. although your drive is from an MBP it sounds like you need help from a Windows forum as that is where you are now...sorry I never use Windows. Your question how to restore a folder deleted under Windows is a Windows question...