retrieving hard drive info

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by spsnyc, Nov 1, 2010.

1. spsnyc macrumors newbie

My Macbook battery died and when Mac replaces it, the hard drive will be wiped out. Does anyone know where to go and how much it costs to save what's on my hard drive?

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Don't you have a charger, that lets you still start the MacBook?

What if you get the HDD out of the MacBook yourself, iFixIt has many guides on how to do that, and put it into an enclosure for 2.5" S-ATA HDDs (also available in any well sorted electronics shop)? That way, you can connect the HDD to a Mac OS X or Windows PC (via MacDrive) and can get the data off.

Or if your MB still boots via connecting the power adapter, and if that MB has a Firewire port, you can use Target Disk Mode in combination with a Mac OS X computer with Firewire or a Windows PC with Firewire (again with MacDrive, to be able to read the HDD).

Btw, the company is called "Apple", not "Mac". Mac is short for Macintosh and is used in the names of the computers Apple offers and the name of the OS Apple offers.

3. spsnyc thread starter macrumors newbie

While I appreciate your replying to my post, it came across as a little condescending. Of course, I know the company is called apple and what a Mac is and where it the name came from. And, if I could plug it in to a power source I would be able to back up the data. The battery is dead, I cannot generate any power to the computer.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

This is not true. They won't wipe your hard drive to replace the battery. It's always a good idea to backup before sending it in for repair, but wiping the HD is not part of the battery replacement process.

5. old-wiz macrumors G3

Even with a dead batter you should be able to boot the machine by connecting the external charger to a power supply.

6. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

That may be, but how should I know, that you know, if you don't use the right terms? And with my other questions I was just trying to verify information and add additional knowledge to my current ignorance with your problem.

As you haven't provided that much information, i just asked for it and tried to bring some kind of "solution" into my questions. If you think that is condescending, than that is not my problem, as I was just asking.

I don't know you or your knowledge of your computer and so on, thus me being notorious and notorious.

Maybe this will help in future encounters:

Btw, why did you create another thread? To find your own threads, log into MacRumors, click on UserCP and you will see your subscribed threads, if you have enabled subscriptions. If not, you can also use the search function and look for your user name.

Anyway, as GGJstudios suggested, they will not wipe your data, unless they feel the need to replace the HDD.

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

This is true. You also haven't specified how you know your battery is indeed dead. Did you reset the SMC? Was your battery calibrated? How long have you had the battery and how many cycles did you have on it?
    This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions: Apple Notebook Battery FAQ
    And if they do need to replace the HD, you can simply ask them to transfer your data to the new HD.

8. spsnyc thread starter macrumors newbie

Interesting. That's what the guy at the Genius Bar said, that if they replace the battery, the hard drive will be wiped clean. I wonder why he said that?

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Because "Genius" is simply a title that Apple gives its tech support people. It doesn't really mean they're geniuses, or that they always know what they're talking about.

10. spsnyc thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks GG. The battery wasn't charging to the power source so I took it the apple store and the "Genius" bar guy tested it and said it was shot. We didn't back up the data recently so wanted to have the data saved but if you're saying the HD will remain intact then that's good. apple said it was about $135 to replace the battery.

11. old-wiz macrumors G3

Still would be an excellent idea to buy an external HD and do a full system backup via something like Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper just in case. You don't want to lose all your data if some turkey at Apple does something stupid.

I never even take my MBP out of the house without a full clone stored in my desk.

12. spsnyc thread starter macrumors newbie

We have one but for this computer it wasn't backed up recently.

13. logana macrumors 65816

logana

Why can you not run the Mac off the mains adaptor - with or without the battery in the computer and then save your data ?

If you don't have a charger how do you charge your battery anyway ?

14. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

Also, if you're really worried about the hard drive... just take it out before sending it in. They don't need the HDD in order to replace the battery.

Is this something that could work, or do we think Apple would refuse the service without the HDD present?

15. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I'm pretty sure they wouldn't do the work without the HD installed. They'd want to test and make sure the battery was recognized by the OS, and that the battery information was accurately reported. They'd need to boot up the system to do that.
    Did you read the OP's post?