retrieving hard drive mac g4 cube

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by plunc, Dec 28, 2008.

1. plunc macrumors newbie

Hi,
    Back in sept., my basement apt. flooded, which eventually resulted in death of my g4 cube (that i loved). I believe the power supply was what failed. Replaced it with a used power mac g5 1.8 ghz., which is a great machine. After reading instructions online, i was able to remove the hard drive from my cube. It is a western digital 205AA enhanced IDE hard drive. after removal, i went into the g5, and realized the hard drives in that machine are of a different connection. What im trying to accomplish is to get the contents of my cubes hard drive on to the new machine. Im a complete tech-idiot with this stuff, so if anyone can tell me how i can get to there from here, i would be most appreciative.
    thanks for any help you might be able to offer.

2. yoyo5280 macrumors 68000

yoyo5280

im sorry to hear about your cube. they are seeexy. keep the case atleast :p

try buying an exnclousure for the hardrive, then plugigng it in through USB.

3. ab2650 macrumors 6502a

I use this little device. You connect it to any hard drive (well, IDE and SATA anyway) and then in turn connect the device to a USB port on your newer machine. Assuming that the disk is still functional and you can read the file system type it will mount it like any portable hard drive.

You may be able to find an enclosure cheaper, but this is the quickest way to mount a IDE drive on USB.

4. plunc thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks so much. ran out and got the ide/ata adapter, and for the most part, it worked. some of the programs were not able to mount, but most were. Leads me to my next dilema. Was hoping to import the photos from my old Iphoto app, but, when i try to open it, i get a message saying my current osx is unable to operate the old Iphoto application. Any ideas how I can get around this? Current operating system is 10.56, the old system was running 10.4 something, i believe,
    thanks