Retrieving info from previous backups

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by amnichols10, Jul 11, 2009.

1. amnichols10 macrumors regular

Just recently upgraded from a black MacBook to a MacBook Pro. Transfered the information via firewire so I didn't lose anything. Set up time machine to back up my computer and I only have backups from July 7th (when the time machine start). I have information (media, movies, music, etc) dating all the way back to October 2008. The information is on the time capsule, but I just want to know how to get some info off the from previous backups. Can anyone help me with this?

2. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

3. amnichols10 thread starter macrumors regular

Ok. Do you know how to only restore certain files instead of doing a full restore? I just want to replace some media that I have and don't want to fully restore the computer.

4. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Well just open the Time Machine application and go to the date you want to restore from, choose the files in question, the hit the restore button. Simple as pie.

5. amnichols10 thread starter macrumors regular

Ok. Now I have a whole new problem. Time Machine isn't working all together because I get an error message saying that the backup disk can not be mounted. I've tried everything from using disk utility to repair my disk to restarting the time capsule itself.

Things that I want to avoid:
    -Using the disk that came with my computer to restore because I don't want to erase the information that I already have.
    -Don't want to restore the time capsule to factory settings because I don't want the stuff I have on it already on it.

Any suggestions? Read some other forums on this topic and I'm hoping that someone could break it down to me in simple terms. Thanks

6. guydude193 macrumors 6502a

Anytime that you think you're having an issue with the OS, just pop in the install disc and select the option "Archive and Install". It'll backup everything in a separate partition, erase the rest of the disk, and install a fresh OS X.