Retrieving my old system...is there a way?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by mrjohnno28, Sep 26, 2009.

1. mrjohnno28 macrumors newbie

Hi to all in the Mac world, and please excuse my ignorance if this is an easy fix but I need some help!
    Having just updated to S.L and then not being able to connect to my school server I rang the local Mac store who told me to go back to Leopard. I did, and lost my stuff. Having only recently bought my mac I had not set up time machine...ouch! I know how to find the previous system folder but what I want to know is if there is a way to use the folder to have all my old settings, files etc run auto or will I simply have to manually swap everything back?
    Any ideas?:confused:

2. cheeseburgers95 macrumors newbie

...is there a way?

you could perhaps try Migration assistant?
    may or may not work

3. mrjohnno28 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hey thanks will give this a try and let ya know.

4. mrjohnno28 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks cheeseburgers95 but back to the drawing board for me. I shall begin the slow way now....yeehaa!

5. Makosuke macrumors 603

If you have a second drive kicking around, you might try copying the contents of the Previous Systems folder onto the top level of that drive, and see if Migration Assistant recognizes it from there (though the fact that it was already 10.6 means it might well not).

If that fails and you know your way around a terminal, you could also try creating a user with exactly the same shortname as the old one, then replacing that user's home folder with the old one and changing permissions on it appropriately. Theoretically you should boot right into the settings that way, although it's possible that if some prefs were changed substantially between 10.5 and 10.6 there will be glitches under 10.5.