Retrieving photos from a deactivated iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by swpmac, Jul 30, 2014.

1. swpmac macrumors newbie

I've got an iPhone 3Gs that's been deactivated for a few years. How do I retrieve photos from it? When I plug it in to charge, the screen comes up to make emergency calls but can't get to anything else. When I plug it into my Mac Pro, the Apple Logo screen comes on for about 4 seconds and then goes blank and continues this cycle. Neither iTunes or Image Capture can find the phone...

2. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

Plug it into a Windows computer. It should appear as a camera with a folder containing the photos.

3. swpmac thread starter macrumors newbie

4. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

You're not running iTunes on the Windows machine when you connect that 3GS, are you?

5. swpmac thread starter macrumors newbie

6. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

It's not starting up at all...I see.

Try to get it started...put it on the AC power charger and hold down the power-sleep-wake button and home button at the same time. Repeat a few times if necessary. Other than that, I don't know what to try as attempting to restore the iPhone, which would erase your photos, would be the next step to getting it running.

You should be able to get the photos off via Windows or iTunes if it gets running. The Windows method would be the least troublesome.