retrieving trash?!?!?!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by BLDun, Jun 12, 2007.

1. BLDun macrumors regular

I "accidently" got rid of a file I now find that I need. Is there any way to retrieve a file from the trash once the trash has been emptied????

2. Dimwhit macrumors 68000

Dimwhit

Not easily. There are utilities that can attempt to recover deleted files, but the longer you use a computer after it's gone, the less likely you are of getting it back.

3. Telp macrumors 68040

Telp

You will need to probably buy some software that does this. You can try some free trials, but normally they make them very hard to use so that you just buy it. It's not completely gone, so the more you do on the machine, the faster its going to get overwritten.

4. BLDun thread starter macrumors regular

I just deleted it yesterday, so it hasn't been too long. what would be the name of a good program I can look at and see if it's worth the price. The document was 133 pages it took a couple of months to build and I thought i had saved it to an external hard drive I have at home only to find out today that I hadn't.

5. Telp macrumors 68040

Telp

Good ones, i dont know. Just do a search, and if its that important, it could be worth the price. Don't you wish you had time machine :D

6. Dimwhit macrumors 68000

Dimwhit

Download Data Rescue II:

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/1133

I've had good luck pulling files from a bad drive. It also recovers deleted files. It does have a demo, so that might be enough.

Wouldn't hurt to download it and run it from an external drive. Any files you can keep from being written to your disk improves the odds of your files still being recoverable.

Let us know how it goes!

7. BLDun thread starter macrumors regular

Well, it's hard to say how it went. Not good I guess. I downloaded the demo and ran a scan on the drive. I then gave me a a list of all the files it found but it assigned new names/numbers to them so there was no way for me to identify which was the one I wanted. I did find some files from InDesign which was the program I used on the document I wanted. So I highlighted all the InDesign files but it said it was too much and couldn't be done on the demo. Then I selected one of them and it put it on my desktop but when I tried to open it in InDesign all I get is an error message saying "Cannot open this file. Adobe InDeisng may not support the file forma, a plug-in that supports the file format may be missing or the file may be open in another application. I have tried a number of things but still can't get it open. And even if I do I doubt it will be the complete one I need so I would have to pay the $100 to see the rest of them.
    Thanks for your help anyway!!