OS X Retro controller for PPC PowerBook

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by saturnotaku, Dec 15, 2016.

1. saturnotaku macrumors 68000

I recently acquired a cheap PowerBook G4 that I want to use as a portable retro gaming computer. I'd like to get a NES/SNES style controller but don't know what would be compatible with a system this old - it'll be running Tiger in order to take advantage of the Classic Mode.

Any advice is appreciated.

2. blesscheese macrumors 6502a

blesscheese

3. saturnotaku thread starter macrumors 68000

I'm asking about hardware, unless you're implying that any USB NES/SNES controller will suffice when used in conjunction with the above software.

4. blesscheese macrumors 6502a

blesscheese

Yes, basically any old USB device should be usable when you plug it in, you would just use the software to map the buttons exactly as you want them.

There are a lot of places that mfg. both usb retro controllers, as well as places (Mayflash, for example) that mfg usb adaptors to plug in your existing console controllers. None of the software with that stuff would work with the G4, but the USB overdrive hopefully would.

5. aidanpendragon macrumors 6502a

When Radio Shack was still a going concern, I bought a PSX to USB adapter like those described above. Depending on the programs you want to run, I found it was out of the box compatible with some emus; for those at bannister.org, his Emuator Enhancer plugin added USB support.

6. Garrod macrumors regular

Garrod

This is Amazon UK but these look like exactly what you need: https://www.amazon.co.uk/NES-Nintendo-Classic-Style-Controller/dp/B00281PFQI

https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Electron...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=S8NC15KJ3BM1X7BKRTQ3

...used with the aforementioned USB Overdrive everything will be good to go!

7. DouglasCarroll macrumors newbie