Retro Dream Machine

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Aaysha1, May 9, 2009.

1. Aaysha1 macrumors newbie

Hi everyone! I'm needing some advice about what it would take to build my retro dream machine iBook G3. I have seen a couple on ebay that I'm interested in, but what I really want is a combination. I'd like a tangerine iBook with the features of a graphite one. I was thinking I could buy the graphite, then keep looking around for the tangerine body parts and keyboard so that I could swap them out, but it seems like the size of the outer cases are different. Is the graphite larger than the tangerine? Or alternately, could I install a DVD drive in the tangerine and bump up the rest of the specs (ram and hard drive)? I know that the latter would be the more time/work/money intensive option, and I'm not sure I want to go through all the steps necessary to upgrade the processor. I read about that on another forum, and it seems like it could end up being a nightmare.

Thanks for your advice.
    Aaysha1 :D

2. paolo- macrumors 6502a

I think it would depend on the version of the graphite.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IBook

The first one would probably fit as it seems to be only a speed upgrade., but doesn't offer much more than the tangerine, and doesn't have the dvd-drive.

Mind you, the second one has firewire. Even if you're willing to make the hole in the tangerine for it, or unsolder the plug from the graphite, it's possible the logic board's mounting design had changed. Try to find dissection shots. Mind you, I personaly think they are the same, except for the firewire port.

Here's the blueberry, same as the tangerine :

http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Device/iBook_G3_Clamshell

You could also get the key lime one, just as much a poppy color, much easier or may I suggest the 12" powerbook, a vintage apple with style that can still be used.