Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

freeman727

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 9, 2009
I found the part for the top case and backlit keyboard. Is it a relatively simple to install the keyboard? Will it work without software mods?

SteveMobs

macrumors 6502
Dec 10, 2008
Washington D.C.
Interesting, but I think there is a certain software difference because the 2.4 MB has the f5 and f6 keys that are used to adjust the brightness.

Otherwise how would you change the brightness? And what about running the power to it?

Not sure though, keep us updated.

Oh and how much does it all cost?

VPrime

macrumors 68000
Dec 19, 2008
London Ontario
Interesting, but I think there is a certain software difference because the 2.4 MB has the f5 and f6 keys that are used to adjust the brightness.

Otherwise how would you change the brightness? And what about running the power to it?

Not sure though, keep us updated.

Oh and how much does it all cost?
For softaware you cam get the files off a 2.4 macbook, there is also a program to manually controll the back lit keyboard (cant remember the name) so that may work too.

For power, I think it doesnt need any extra power. I assume you just plug the keyboard into the proper connector on the logic board and it supplies power to the LEDs as well.

petermcphee

macrumors 6502a
Aug 20, 2008
This should be an interesting thread to watch. I know that there are a few 2.0 aluminum MB owners out there that are interested in this topic.

To the OP: if you do decide to pursue this mod, please keep us updated with pictures, costs, etc. Thanks!

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
For softaware you cam get the files off a 2.4 macbook, there is also a program to manually controll the back lit keyboard (cant remember the name) so that may work too.

For power, I think it doesnt need any extra power. I assume you just plug the keyboard into the proper connector on the logic board and it supplies power to the LEDs as well.
That would be it. Apple isnt going to design a whole different board just to NOT support the keyboard. Its more cost effective to just make one board, and then just not use a backlit keyboard for that model rather than go through all the extra effort.

John585

macrumors member
Jan 19, 2008
would you have to replace just the keyboard or the logic board? Aren't the leds on the logic board?

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
would you have to replace just the keyboard or the logic board? Aren't the leds the logic board?

The 2.0 and 2.4 have identical logic boards, itd be terrible business sense NOT to have the same ones. The only difference is one ships with a backlit keyboard (the lights are built in I beleive) and on ships with a standard keyboard.

So its a matter of getting ahold of the backlit keyboard, installing it physically, then making sure software wise everything works.

johndatserakis

macrumors member
Dec 9, 2008
that's awesome that you got the top case, can I ask where you got it?

Also, like a month ago there was a thread somewhere in a German forum where a guy did this exact procedure. I'm pretty sure you just got to hook it up to the logic board or something. If you could find it you'd be all set. I want to do it myself, so make sure to update with pictures.

crazyxzer0

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2008
there was a german site that actually swapped the backlit onto the 2.0. I don't remember where it is but I remember it was on here somewhere.

freeman727

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 9, 2009
The part number is 661-4944. It can be had for $150 off of Ebay. My biggest question is how hard is it to take the whole computer apart and reassemble the new top case and keyboard.

BairdB14

macrumors newbie
Feb 28, 2009
Yes it will work. No additional software is required. I've done it myself. I also replaced the top case on my old plastic Macbook with the one on the black model. The function keys act as they are labelled so if your brightness keys were F1 and F2, they become F5 and F6. It takes about 10 minutes to disassemble the computer to do it and does require some technical knowledge.

John01021988

macrumors 6502
May 11, 2007
Yes it will work. No additional software is required. I've done it myself. I also replaced the top case on my old plastic Macbook with the one on the black model. The function keys act as they are labelled so if your brightness keys were F1 and F2, they become F5 and F6. It takes about 10 minutes to disassemble the computer to do it and does require some technical knowledge.

So something like "plug and play"?

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
It's just a keyboard you plug; no additional stuff needed.

Anyways, I find this quite pointless; why bother spending $150 and void you warranty at the same time? Plus you have to disassemble the whole computer.

Just buy the 2.4 model refurbished; it'll only be like $100 more than a new 2.0 model.

hockeyplyr591

macrumors newbie
Mar 22, 2009
did it

i just did this mod last night, and it works perfectly. just swapped everything out into the new upper case. the only difference between the backlit and non backlit keyboards (installation wise) is an extra plug for the lights, which plugs into the logic board right next to the actual keyboard slot. i was able to do the whole changeout within a half hour. any questions, feel free to pm me

acfusion29

macrumors 68040
Nov 8, 2007
Toronto
i just did this mod last night, and it works perfectly. just swapped everything out into the new upper case. the only difference between the backlit and non backlit keyboards (installation wise) is an extra plug for the lights, which plugs into the logic board right next to the actual keyboard slot. i was able to do the whole changeout within a half hour. any questions, feel free to pm me

You should have taken some pictures.

hockeyplyr591

macrumors newbie
Mar 22, 2009
shoulda coulda woulda

You should have taken some pictures.

i know i know :( right after i finished i realzed that... but all i did was found a tutorial on how to disassemble it and then put everything back in the same way in the new upper case. being the noob that i am, it was pretty easy to change out, and i am very happy with it :D

aznguyen316

macrumors 68010
Oct 1, 2008
Tampa, FL
yeah pics woulda been sweet. so the F5/F6 work? I didn't pay attention did you change out keyboard too? Anyway, saved yourself $300 bucks didn't ya =)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.