Retropard

irishgrizzly

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 15, 2006
Do you think it will it be possible to put 10.5 in my granddads G3 iMac? It's a "Snow" 700 MHz with 1gig of ram.

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
It will most likely not be officially supported, but you will still probably be able to hack it to get it to run people have gotten every other version running on officially unsuported hardware, I don't think that it would be worth it though, the CPU is too slow, to run it well and the graphics card would not be able to handle any of the effects.

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
from wikipedia
The pre-release documentation states the following system requirements:

* A G4 (800 MHz or faster)-, G5- or Intel-based Mac
* A DVD drive
* At least 512 MB RAM
* 7 GB of hard disk space – 12 GB if Xcode is also installed[6]
* The latest Firmware
* FireWire Ports
of course, can't be sure until end.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
the CPU is too slow, to run it well and the graphics card would not be able to handle any of the effects.
Mmm, so far, there hasn't been any evidence that Leopard is faster with sufficient RAM than Tiger, but there's also no evidence I'm aware of that it's *slower*. I'd expect the final optimized version to follow the typical pattern, meaning that, outside of some of the fancier features, general use of your same applications you're using today will feel as fast or faster on top of Leopard, although the memory footprint will increase.

Angrist

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2005
MI or NJ
Hmmmm ...
800MHz G4

That might be enough to prompt me to finally get one of those sweet Dual 1.8GHz 7448 upgrade chips.