Returing opened Apple products (UK)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ConnorTurnbull, Sep 4, 2010.

1. ConnorTurnbull macrumors 6502

I'm planning on picking up a new iPod Nano next week. However, I still do have a few reservations about it. I want to get it but if I feel like the iPod Shuffle could do an equal job, can I return an undamaged iPod Nano to the Apple store, even though it's opened?

2. ConnorTurnbull, Sep 4, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 4, 2011

ConnorTurnbull thread starter macrumors 6502

3. pukifloyd macrumors 6502a

pukifloyd

Yes. As long its in the 14 day period, you can return it. You'll have to pay the restocking fee (its 10% or 15%).

4. JDB1983 macrumors newbie

5. calb macrumors 6502

Wrong. Usually you have up to 7 days to cancel the contract (cooling-off period), and the refund will be made as soon as possible – up to a maximum of 30 days.

I'm not familiar with how strictly Apple's restocking fee is applied in the UK (and reports from Americans aren't too useful as the US can be a completely different monster policy-wise), but I don't think there'll be an issue. If in doubt, order online and fall back on the Consumer Protection (Distance Selling) Regulations 2000. Bad for business but excellent for consumers.

Whatever the decision, act quick.

6. 2contagious macrumors 6502a

2contagious

Lets say you buy one at the Regent Street Apple Retail store: You will have 14 days to return the product to ANY official Apple Retail store in the UK and you don't have to pay a restocking fee.

7. emptyCup macrumors 65816

emptyCup

Since you are planning to pick it up, by which I assume you mean go to an Apple store, play with the two models before you buy. As you know the Nano is basically a Shuffle with more storage and a screen. You probably know touur storage needs and whether you like to pick selections from a list or be randomly surprised.

While you are there ask about the return policy. Or call if you are not actually going.

8. aristobrat macrumors G4

9. mutantteenager macrumors 6502

What ever you do, try not to use the headphones, those won't be returnable due to hygiene. But if you're swapping over/upgrading to another ipod, they'll probably just swap the earbuds.