Return 2011 MBA, Buy 2010?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by deadlystriker, Aug 1, 2011.

1. deadlystriker macrumors regular

deadlystriker

Hi all, I've been interested in the 11" MBAs since their release in 2010 but held off a purchase due to the core 2 duo processors. Needless to say, finally picked one up after the recent refresh. It is a 11", i5 128GB model.

I absolutely love this machine, it goes everywhere with me now. Previously, I had to decide whether or not to bring the 15" MBP, now I don't even need to think for the 11". It is very portable.

However there's just one thing I do not like, that is OS X Lion. I can go on about it but it's not the point of this thread. After using the MBA for almost a week, I find myself wanting more and more to go back to SL. Have googled around and seems like it is impossible to install SL on the new airs. This frustrates me to the point where I want to return the machine (still within 14 days) and buy the 2010 ultimate 11" just for SL, as besides Lion, I really love the form factor of the 11" and battery life is good enough for me.

What do you all think? Is it a stupid move? I know I will be missing the backlit keyboard and thunderbolt. Anyone own both the ultimate 2010 11" and the 2011 i5? Is there a huge difference in performance? Will it also be possible to find an ultimate 2010 11" brand new? Thank you

2. Sodner macrumors 68020

Sodner

I'd say stick with the 2011 Air AND Lion. Disable what you dislike if you can, and learn to live with the rest. It's really not that bad. You may like it the more you use it.

3. KPOM macrumors G5

I'd stick with the 2011. The Core 2 Duo models were good, but they were always hampered by the processor. The Core i5 models will be "current" for a lot longer, and capable of running newer, more demanding software.

Lion will be updated to fix the bugs, and you can change the scrolling back to the "unnatural" mode that is more natural for some. You can also change Mail to revert to the Classic mode, which primarily leaves Mission Control and Launch Pad as the two things to get used to (which isn't that difficult for me).
    Try Lion for a few days, though, with the new themes. The reverse "natural" scrolling starts feeling normal after a little while.