Return 2012 MBP or Not

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Nyquil, Feb 18, 2013.

1. Nyquil macrumors newbie

First Post.

After dredging through these threads I thought I would ask directly. Too much scattered info throughout the threads.

I purchased a 15" 2.7 MBP Retina with 16 gigs of ram in December. I received it last week.

In light of the latest developments the past couple of days the OCD in me is wondering if I should return this one (I have until Feb 27th) and order the very newest one.

Would this move on my part be an overkill knee-jerk reaction?

Any thoughts and reasoning are very much appreciated. Thanks everyone.

2. leman macrumors 604

You could contact Apple and tell them that you are unhappy that the refreshed model was released at the same time as you got your old one. I am sure they will figure something out for you.

As to return: why? Is there something wrong with your machine?

3. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

Unless you want that 2.8GHz model for 250USD I would not buy it.
    You can contact them like the person above me said and get some refunds but I dont see a reason to return.

4. M5RahuL macrumors 68020

M5RahuL

It's a .1 Clock increase and since you have the pre-refresh 2.7 i7 chip [3820QM], it's got the 8MB L3 Cache instead of the 6MB in the new 2.7s ...

I don't see ANY point in returning it!! I absolutely L-O-V-E my rMBP! No regrets whatsoever!

Just keep it, use it, and enjoy it!

Technology will always progress, and you will never have the bleeding edge for too long!

Soon, Haswell will be out, then are you going to fret being *stuck* on Ivy Bridge ?

5. Nyquil thread starter macrumors newbie

And the voice of reasons speak.

Thank you everyone. I'll call Apple later and see if I can get a credit or something.

Side note.....LOVE the retina display. Every time I go back to my iMac it's a little disappointing. haha

6. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

There is a thread that came up saying it seems like the update has changed the I/O board, SSD, and logic to a new one though.
    Unless that triggers something for you I wouldnt get a replacement.

7. Nyquil thread starter macrumors newbie

8. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

9. M5RahuL macrumors 68020

M5RahuL

If you have a IR-less and dead-pixel-less Screen [ preferably Samsung ] and no other problems [ like fans kicking on full for no reason or WLAN issues... ] there's no reason to swap.

Should something go south down the road, you always have the 1st year covered, and then 2 additional years with AC.

I would strongly recommend getting the AC for this product, from B&H Photo for around $245 shipped :)