Return-ability

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by JulianGN, Sep 2, 2014.

1. JulianGN macrumors newbie

Hello,

About 7 months ago I purchased a refurbished IPad 4 from the apple website, and, a week or two ago, I noticed a few small specks of dust and one quite large and pronounced one. I can't be sure how long those dust specs have been there but I only noticed them because I had purchased a microfiber cloth and cleaned it for the first time. This may not seem like a big deal to most people, but my OCD makes my eyes go straight to where the dust is. My question is: can I have my IPad replaced under free one year warranty? I think that I should also mention that I somehow acquired a 1-2 mm deep scratch on the bottom right corner of the screen, the part that displays not the border.

Thanks for any help!

2. Rodster macrumors 68040

It doesn't matter if you have OCD or not. If it bothers you get it exchange. All iPad's new or refurbs that Apple sells come with a 12 month warranty. You can make an appointment at an Apple Store if you have one in your area. If not call Apple support to arrange sending your iPad to them for an exchange. Those types of issues are typically easy to get an exchange on.

3. JulianGN thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks.

Do you think that it matters that it is so old and that it has a scratch?

Also will I be able to transfer my stuff from this one to the new one?

4. Shadowbech macrumors 68040

It's worth trying. Just mention to them that you have a dust under screen and under some circumstances that it is noticeable when screen is on. And it's a case by case. It depends on who you meet, I've known some genius aren't that easy going and some can be very helpful (from my experience).

5. Rodster macrumors 68040

A scratch shouldn't matter because that's considered wear and tear. A dent or cracked glass is not normal. Backup your iPad either with iTunes or iCloud. Then erase all your data if it's important. They will likely replace it with a refurb.

6. JulianGN thread starter macrumors newbie

Just to clarify, the scratch is deep enough to be felt by a fingernail.

Thanks for the help!

7. Rodster macrumors 68040

A scratch is not a huge issue unless the iPad has dents and looks like it's been abused. All Apple refurbished iPad's come with a new battery and outer cover. Which why a scratch is not a big deal.

8. JulianGN thread starter macrumors newbie

Alright. I haven't dropped it and have no idea how the scratch happened. Thanks for the help!