return apple purchased gift card

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by tbluhp, Nov 25, 2014.

1. tbluhp macrumors 6502a

i purchased a apple gift card to buy an ipad when they have there sale but I realized after a day that best buy would have a better deal $100 off instead of apples gift card so my question is can i return the gift card that I bought so i can get on best buys deal or am i stuck?

2. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

3. tbluhp thread starter macrumors 6502a

rats oh well atleast i get $50 to buy a screen protector or a case

4. yukyuklee macrumors 6502

yukyuklee

you can get those things much cheaper off ebay especially the screen protectors there pretty much all the same stuff apple sells. I would save the giftcard and use it for something else you might want to buy in the future or a present since xmas is coming up?

5. Kendo macrumors 68000

Just out of curiosity, what possessed you to buy a gift card if you could just buy the iPad with cash or credit? Did you get a good deal on it?

6. tbluhp thread starter macrumors 6502a

I did not want to put the money into my bank account until this one check clears off my account and is fully deposited plus I was planning on staying home avoid crowds and do my business online.

7. HJM.NL macrumors 6502a

HJM.NL

Isn't there a consumer protection law in the USA when you can return your bought goods in a certain amount of time? In Europe there is. I also never buy Apple care because the European law says you've a three year guarantee on electronics/computers from a certain price point. Apple used to give only one year warranty on their products and still says that on their website. But European ruling forced them to give the 3 year warranty as well and they have a cryptic writing about warranty on their sites now.

8. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

There are very few laws regarding this. The only real requirement is that they follow their return/refund policy if they have one. These laws are left up to each state. The only real variation within the states is whether or not a retailer must conspicuously post their refund policy before purchase.
    http://consumer.findlaw.com/consumer-transactions/customer-returns-and-refund-laws-by-state.html

Federally there is a 3 Day Cooling Off Rule. It's scope is very limited. Mainly it is meant to deal with a high pressure door to door salesman.
    https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0176-buyers-remorse-when-ftcs-cooling-rule-may-help

Consumers even have very little protection for defective merchandise. As long as it functioned when purchased. The buyer must make themselves aware of any warranty, guarantee or refund policy. Although there are exceptions. Even high end purchases have few recourse's as long as fraud or blatant misrepresentation was not involved. Misleading is allowed if it isn't explicit misrepresentation (ie you can hint at a potential benefit where the buyer draws their own conclusions). If there is a warranty, guarantee or refund policy they must be followed.

On the other hand. If a product is defective and that defect causes injury, loss of life or causes something like a fire. The consumer can sue that company into oblivion.

9. Tech198 macrumors G4

Why don't u gift it to someone in the same country ? That's one way.
    https://support.apple.com/en-au/HT201783

gift cards are non-refundable for cash