Return Applecare for Squaretrade?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by adamvk, Dec 2, 2012.

1. adamvk macrumors 65816

adamvk

So I just bought a Retina Macbook Pro via financing, and with Applecare and interest, the total was about $3300. So the fact that it's not insured for theft or damage is slightly worrisome. I've had it for about 2 weeks, and I've heard you can return Applecare. Squaretrade is basically $500 for 3 years. Applecare was $250 (edu) so I'm trying to figure out if Squaretrade is good enough to replace Applecare? And can you pay yearly instead of all just at once? And help would be appreciated! Thanks!

2. Moshe1010 macrumors 6502a

Squaretrade doesn't insure you for theft either. Damage insurance depends on your personality handling electronics. If you know how to keep your things safe, you would probably waste more money on an insurance program and won't use it. Most common damage for MacBooks is water damage, so just don't drink next to your computer and you'd be fine.

3. zackkmac macrumors 6502a

Judging from my iPhone/iPad SquareTrade plans you can either pay monthly or all at once. I don't remember there being an annual option. If their laptop plans are anything like the iPhone/iPad ones, you can cancel them at any time and receive a refund based on how much coverage you have left.

I don't think SquareTrade covers theft but you can add accidental damage. I went with a cheaper route that was $150 for my MacBook Pro retina, it was covered for 3 years and had theft, accidental damage, etc. covered.

4. adamvk thread starter macrumors 65816

adamvk