Return AT&T Next iPhone6s & Buy 6s+ thru Apple

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MannieSolo, Oct 6, 2015.

1. MannieSolo macrumors member

MannieSolo

I purchased an iPhone 6s using an upgrade from my Next program on launch day. I enjoy it but coming from the iPhone 6 I want to try the 6s+. Of course none of the AT&T stores have a 6s+ in stock. I was lucky enough today to reserve a Plus at an apple store. So my question is can I return my 6s at the AT&T store and head over to Apple to purchase the Plus? I've been getting different information all day so if anyone has any experience it will be helpful. Thanks.

2. kramjam, Oct 6, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2015
  3. jtwlbz macrumors 6502a

of course you can do it if it's within 14 days. The thing is as soon as you return it to at&t can apple activate with at&t?

4. MannieSolo thread starter macrumors member

MannieSolo

Okay. It would be helpful if At&T could give me an answer but I guess I'm the first person in history to try this, as they were all confused. Hopefully they can do this instantly so I can avoid any issues with trying to reactivate or achieve my upgrade when I'm at the Apple store.

5. MannieSolo thread starter macrumors member

MannieSolo

I'm within my 14day window so I wouldnt have to pay off the Next amount I want to do a simple return and since ATT doesnt have the device I want I simply want to purchase via Apple instead.

6. joce09 macrumors newbie

I'm curious to see if they'll let you exchange it since I'm in the same situation. I just came back up from the Apple Store because earlier today I reserved a 6s+ 64GB RG to exchange it out for the 6s+ 64GB Gold that I got on 9/29 (originally scheduled for delivery on 9/25 but I rescheduled), but the store rep said that they didn't want to risk messing up my att account because I did the phone on ATT Next and that it's pretty close to the 14 days and that if they returned it then I might have to pay the ETF (which would really be accelerated installments), I didn't feel like arguing so I decided to come home and maybe read through their return policy again and possibly try a different Apple Store tomorrow if it comes back in stock. I just found it odd because I had seen others on here and on a different website that had the same situation but they were actually able to exchange it out.

7. MannieSolo thread starter macrumors member

MannieSolo

Hey Guys so last night I was able to return my phone to AT&T which took almost 2 hours bc they had an issue trying to restore my Next upgrade. They finally had luck but the Apple store where I had my reservation closed. So I'm off to another Apple store that has stock...

8. convergent macrumors 68000

convergent

I think you are overcomplicating this and you certainly don't need to tell AT&T you plan to go to the Apple Store and by a phone. Just tell them you want to return the one you have. If its within the return period then it shouldn't matter why.

9. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

He DOES need to get AT&T to reactivate his NEXT upgrade so he can claim it at Apple.

10. double329 macrumors 6502

Agreed, ATT needs to restore the upgrade for that line. Unless, you are using different line to upgrade at Apple store, then return other one afterward. Been there, done that.

11. coney718 macrumors regular

I'm in a similar situation with T-mobile. I want to exchange my 6s for the 6s+ but they are all backordered. By the time they get stock I will be passed my 14 day return period. This sucks.

12. MannieSolo thread starter macrumors member

MannieSolo

The issue is resetting my upgrade! and since I have to go thru Apple to get the plus that is causing a major issues since it takes awhile (according to my experience over the last two days) for their systems to communicate with each other. My At&T account is showing I have an upgrade yet Apple store system says im not eligible