Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

overfedexed

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 1, 2014
Hello,

I've looked everywhere on here and can't seem to find the answer to this question.

I purchased an iPhone 6 from the AT&T Premier site. I've decided to return it to the local store, so that I can order a 6 Plus. I stood in line for 40 minutes and when they called me they said that there would be a $35 restocking fee. I said "For what. The plastic is still on it, untouched." They said that it is because I purchased it online and I'm returning it to a store. They have to reset my upgrade, which is true, but I've never heard of this fee and I've done returns before.

I looked it up online and it said "Apple devices, no restocking fees. I called the 800 number and the CSR agreed, but he said that the managers use their own discretion sometimes. He noted my account with their official policy, NO FEE for Apple devices, then told me to return to the store tomorrow.

Can anybody share their experience with me. AT&T only please.

overfedexed

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 1, 2014

Thanks, but I already knew about that route. I wanted to get them to do it at store level, so that they could reset my upgrade faster. Then I could go ahead and re order.

I was wanting to see what other people have run into, when returning an online purchase to the local Corporate store. Is this normal? The girl said that the fee was because they had to reset my upgrade???

BandOfPirates

macrumors newbie
Dec 4, 2012
I just did the same returning my premier online order to an ATT store. There is no restocking fee. That's bull. You should request a refund.

The rep said that my upgrade eligibility will be restored instantaneously. It has been about three hours since I've returned the iPhone. I have kept checking online and my status is still ineligible. ATT live reps and Chat are helpless as they say that they cannot access Premier orders. Premier live support is not back until Monday. What should I do? I see Plus's available at my local Apple stores. How long has your eligibility taken to be restored?

monkey28rb

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2010
I just did the same returning my premier online order to an ATT store. There is no restocking fee. That's bull. You should request a refund.

The rep said that my upgrade eligibility will be restored instantaneously. It has been about three hours since I've returned the iPhone. I have kept checking online and my status is still ineligible. ATT live reps and Chat are helpless as they say that they cannot access Premier orders. Premier live support is not back until Monday. What should I do? I see Plus's available at my local Apple stores. How long has your eligibility taken to be restored?

There is a $35 restocking fee when you return a phone at a COR store. If you do not want that fee I suggest returning it back in the mail.

iphone5att64

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2012
Ask the person at the store to waive it. They waived the restocking fee for me when I asked for an opened and used iPhone 5S, but he implied that I would have to give them a good rating on an evaluation survey.

BandOfPirates

macrumors newbie
Dec 4, 2012
There is a $35 restocking fee when you return a phone at a COR store. If you do not want that fee I suggest returning it back in the mail.

I returned mine to an ATT company store with no restocking fee. Is a company store different from a COR store?

monkey28rb

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2010
I returned mine to an ATT company store with no restocking fee. Is a company store different from a COR store?

COR store is company owned store. Policy is to have a $35 restocking fee. If it is waived, the store takes a hit and it looks bad.

BandOfPirates

macrumors newbie
Dec 4, 2012
Got it. Thanks.

Over four hours since my online order return to the ATT company store and I still don't have my eligibility restored. Does the phone need to make it all the way back to the returns warehouse before I get my upgrade eligibility restored?

overfedexed

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 1, 2014

Do you have a link please? Is it written anywhere? Maybe it's a local policy and that's why the CSR that I spoke to, said that he couldn't ask them to do it. He did include a note on my account, stating the Return policy, Online to in-store included.

The CSR on the phone with me, researched it and found "Apple devices have no fee". However, I can see where they would be taking a hit, as you say. Just curious if it's anywhere in their return policy list on the site.

I guess it's just like these store employees telling people that you have to buy accessories with your trade-in promo card. I have an internal document that clearly states that it can be used to pay your bill, but they still keep insisting otherwise according to other posts on here.

----------

I left the store with my phone after she told me that. Actually she told me that the fee was for them having to reset my upgrade?????

monkey28rb

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2010
Do you have a link please? Is it written anywhere? Maybe it's a local policy and that's why the CSR that I spoke to, said that he couldn't ask them to do it. He did include a note on my account, stating the Return policy, Online to in-store included.

The CSR on the phone with me, researched it and found "Apple devices have no fee". However, I can see where they would be taking a hit, as you say. Just curious if it's anywhere in their return policy list on the site.

I guess it's just like these store employees telling people that you have to buy accessories with your trade-in promo card. I have an internal document that clearly states that it can be used to pay your bill, but they still keep insisting otherwise according to other posts on here.

----------

I left the store with my phone after she told me that. Actually she told me that the fee was for them having to reset my upgrade?????

https://www.att.com/shop/wireless/returnpolicy.html#fbid=yILix5ZpJfF

If the device is unopened the $35 restocking fee can be waived. The issue is, the device has to be reclassed and become sellable out of inventory again. That is a hassle. Another thing is some people like to re-wrap boxes and try to return the phone with nothing in it.

overfedexed

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 1, 2014
https://www.att.com/shop/wireless/returnpolicy.html#fbid=yILix5ZpJfF

If the device is unopened the $35 restocking fee can be waived. The issue is, the device has to be reclassed and become sellable out of inventory again. That is a hassle. Another thing is some people like to re-wrap boxes and try to return the phone with nothing in it.

Thanks for that info. I may just open it up and try it out. Maybe the 6 will be good enough for me. If not, I can just mail it back, pay the $35 restocking fee, then order the Plus, correct?

Here is what I found, but now I know why they don't want to do it thanks to you so...

Days after purchase Amount of refund Fees, except where prohibited
0-14 days Full refund less any applicable fees Device restocking fee: up to $35

Apple devices: No restocking fee if device returned unopened

Accessory restocking fee: 10% of purchase price for accessories $200 and over
15 days or more Return directly to manufacturer. Refund subject to manufacturer warranty policy as follows: Refurbished devices carry a warranty from the manufacturer of 90 days after purchase date. New devices carry a warranty of 1 year after purchase date.

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
This is helpful. That is cheaper than T-Mobile's restocking fee of $50.

I had the WiFi issue folks have talked about, but a call to Apple Care fixed that issue at home. If the WiFi works at the job, I'll keep the phone, if not, I'll just take the $35 hit with my promo card and start anew with another carrier.

AT&T service has been particularly crappy here in the past few months, but I won't stress the $35 hit should I return the phone.

brholton

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2010
This happened to me yesterday. I ordered a 6 online and didn't think the order was processes so I ordered at apple.com. They both shipped. I went to return at att store and he said he couldn't do it, and I would have to ship it back. The manager came over and said "absolutely we will take this back, it will be sold in an hour since we don't have any in stock."

overfedexed

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 1, 2014
This happened to me yesterday. I ordered a 6 online and didn't think the order was processes so I ordered at apple.com. They both shipped. I went to return at att store and he said he couldn't do it, and I would have to ship it back. The manager came over and said "absolutely we will take this back, it will be sold in an hour since we don't have any in stock."

I couldn't believe it. There were a dozen people in the store wanting an iphone last night. I don't know the configurations that they wanted, but the store only had two iPhones TOTAL on hand. You would have thought that they would have wanted mine.

monkey28rb

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2010
Thanks for that info. I may just open it up and try it out. Maybe the 6 will be good enough for me. If not, I can just mail it back, pay the $35 restocking fee, then order the Plus, correct?

Here is what I found, but now I know why they don't want to do it thanks to you so...

Days after purchase Amount of refund Fees, except where prohibited
0-14 days Full refund less any applicable fees Device restocking fee: up to $35

Apple devices: No restocking fee if device returned unopened

Accessory restocking fee: 10% of purchase price for accessories $200 and over
15 days or more Return directly to manufacturer. Refund subject to manufacturer warranty policy as follows: Refurbished devices carry a warranty from the manufacturer of 90 days after purchase date. New devices carry a warranty of 1 year after purchase date.

If you want to try out the phone, do the $35 restocking fee, if you know you do not want it, I would just ship it back to customer care and pay no restocking fee. Everything you posted above is correct. If you can get a manager to waive the $35 restocking fee then more power to you. I know the FLA Market is very tough with this policy and managers go on reports for this, hence they are looking out for their own jobs.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Based on the link below, there is no restocking fee on Apple products if the item is returned unopened. That same link states you can return to store or by mail within a 14 day window.

That said, we bought a 5S through next a few months ago and it had a $35 restocking fee sticker on the unopened box. The rep peeled it, removed the plastic, stuck the sticker on the actual box, and then proceeded activating the phone. The sticker may just be there for them to place on opened boxes (so they don't forget) I suppose.

http://m.att.com/shopmobile/wireless/legal/returnsPolicy.html

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.