Return Current Blackbook for Last Generation to save $200?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by blairh, Mar 28, 2008.

  1. blairh macrumors 68040


    Dec 11, 2007
    What I have in my house, unopened:

    2.4 Penryn blackbook. 2 GB RAM, 250 GB HD.

    What I'm eyeing:

    2.2 previous model blackbook. 2 GB RAM, 160 GB HD. New.

    I could return my current blackbook and purchase the previous model blackbook. In the end, the savings would be $200.

    My current external that holds all my media totals 70 GB. So the 160 GB from the previous model blackbook should be enough to keep me happy.

    Would you make the return or keep the current model? $200 for 90 GB more? Worth the newer processor?
  2. heatmiser macrumors 68020

    Dec 6, 2007
    If it cost less than 5 minutes to make the trade, I'd do it. If it involved rebates, coupons, haggling, or other forms of BS, I'd stay.
  3. Hankster macrumors 68020


    Jan 30, 2008
    Washington DC
    It really depends on how much you want the $200. If you need the money and don't mind the shipping wait for the exchange I'd do it.
  4. blairh thread starter macrumors 68040


    Dec 11, 2007
    it would involve returning my current macbook via mail, then waiting for the money to be returned on my cc (not sure how long that would take). then purchasing the other blackbook.
  5. heatmiser macrumors 68020

    Dec 6, 2007
    for me, that wouldn't be worth it, as my macbook is my sole computer. unless you a.) have another machine or b.) really want the money, i'd stick with it.
  6. leekohler macrumors G5


    Dec 22, 2004
    Chicago, Illinois
    The question is- why did you buy the BlackBook in the first place? I just got one, and wouldn't trade it in for a cheaper one ever.
  7. blairh thread starter macrumors 68040


    Dec 11, 2007
    It was an impulse purchase online after dealing with my Dell laptop and the issues it was having. The bad news is, I bought a new fan for the Dell because it was making so much noise, had the fan replaced, and the noise continues. So obviously I have a bigger problem on my hands, but I'm tired of putting any more money into my Dell.

    I don't know. I'm not sure the $200 is worth the extra 90 GB HD, but I also am tempted to just keep the machine.
  8. JEB229 macrumors member

    Feb 21, 2008
  9. spacecadet610 macrumors 6502

    Mar 11, 2006
    too much hassle. i say keep the newer one.. plus once you upgrade you can sell it for a little big higher price
  10. gkarris macrumors 604


    Dec 31, 2004
    "No escape from Reality..."
    Supposedly the new Blackbooks are made of slightly different material which is less prone to fingerprints. Also, the more hard drive space the better.

    My 2.2 is like a fingerprint magnet, and I did swap out the 160 for the 320.

    Other than that - if you can, why not keep what you have?
  11. jonswan macrumors regular

    Jul 26, 2007
    I wouldn't go backwards, if I were you. Pointless, unless it's your last $200 of course. It will also sell for much more when you part with it.
  12. flyfish29 macrumors 68020


    Feb 4, 2003
    New HAMpshire
    It is going to cost you to ship the one back for sure...with insurance will cost more. So that cuts into your $200.

    As far as the proecessro goes- it depends on what you are doing with it- just surfing, email, basic imovie, etc. then for sure the processor really won't matter. IF you do power stuff like photoshop, etc. then it may matter!
  13. blairh thread starter macrumors 68040


    Dec 11, 2007
    215 Gb????

    Hey guys.

    So I ended up keeping the current blackbook (2.4, etc.).

    Question: My hard drive is 215 GB? I knew not to expect 250 GB of course, but 215 GB? I found this disappointing. I was expecting at least 230 GB. :confused:

Share This Page