Return dilemma for new ipad

Discussion in 'iPad' started by wordsworth03, Mar 22, 2012.

1. wordsworth03 macrumors member

Ok, here's the situation. I bought 2 new ipads for me and my wife, but my wife does not want hers.

ipad #1 - purchased from Apple online, perfect screen without tint

ipad #2 - purchased thru employer with discount but strong yellow tint

I want to keep ipad #1 since the screen is perfect, but I don't want to return ipad #2 because then I lose my discount (and I don't want to rebuy/exchange running the risk of going thru several exchanges which will take weeks since they order online). I have been reading through the yellow tint thread and I don't want to have to exchange ipad #2 several times when I already have ipad #1 one that is great. Anybody know of a way to remedy this? If I go to the Apple store and talk to them do you think they can work something out?

I do not want this to become a moral/ethical thread. I am looking for a legit way to keep the good one. But if returning the good one and going through potentially several exchanges is the only way, then so be it.

2. soco macrumors 68030

soco

Why not return the good one, and exchange the bad?

3. wordsworth03 thread starter macrumors member

I guess I'm just afraid I will have to potentially go through several exchanges which is a waste of time for me and Apple when I have a good one in hand. I guess I could just go to the store, exchange in person until I get a good one...if they allow that?

4. MrXiro macrumors 68040

MrXiro

That's the way to go :)

5. soco macrumors 68030

soco

Depends on the store and its manager.

6. mcfinch macrumors member

Are you never going to be happy with it?

7. wordsworth03 thread starter macrumors member

I don't understand your reply. I am very happy with the one that has no tint, but that is the one I have to return.

8. LanEvo macrumors 6502

Easiest solution, return #1 and exchange #2 for #1. They should allow it. Easiest, yet complicated decision. You have the warranty.

9. Le Buzz macrumors member

I don't think you can pull this off, anytime you return an Apple product they check the serial number. If you switched them up they would know.

10. LanEvo macrumors 6502

That's not what I am saying, I mean to say since he returned #1, he can exchange #2 under warranty. So just exchange it for #1.

11. wordsworth03 thread starter macrumors member

I don't think LanEvo meant what you think...I think he means bring both ipads to the store...since #1 is the one I have to return, go ahead and return it, but then have them exchange #2 right on the spot with the one I just returned. That makes sense...I'll have to go to the store and try

12. doboy macrumors 68000

How much was the discount? If it's $10-20 I would just return the "bad" one.

13. wordsworth03 thread starter macrumors member

We get gift certificates through work and can redeem at the University bookstore (who orders Apple stuff online)...so with my certificates it ended up being $200 off

14. doboy macrumors 68000

Wow! That's a nice discount.

15. Le Buzz macrumors member

Ah, yea it might work. Talk to a genius and see. Good luck!

16. wordsworth03 thread starter macrumors member

Well, they wouldn't exchange the one I bought from our bookstore since it wasn't bought from Apple even though it is defective (and our bookstore purchased directly from Apple). I just returned the good one and will be exchanging (at a snail's pace) through our bookstore.