Return/exchange my rmbp -question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by zjazz, Sep 15, 2012.

1. zjazz macrumors 6502

I decided to return my brand new retina mbp due to issue on the screen.
    I was wondering what is the best way to return and exchange it?

option1. should I call apple and return it and then do the separate order for a new one since I can not pick it up in store as it's bto machine.

option2. should I talk to apple and ask them for exchange? Can I keep this computer until my new bto comes? And do I get another 14 days on new exchanged machine for return? Or 14 days will apply only if I return and do separate order? Thanks!

this is whats wrong with my otherwise beautiful rmbp
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1442597

2. trikky macrumors regular

What did Apple say when you phoned them to throw the scenarios at them?

That would be the logical step to take since it's a BTO.

3. zjazz thread starter macrumors 6502

I haven't call them yet. Wanted to be prepared with info before I call them...probably will call them tomorrow for a return, and then will put a new order.

4. Macral macrumors member

Mine was a BTO model as well. I went to Apple store at first and I was told to call Apple instead. So I gave them a call to get a replacement. Unfortunately, the replacement was even worse, the hinge pop out and there was a grinding sound each time I open or close the lid. I called Apple again and I was given two options, full refund or another replacement. I chose another replacement, which is so far so good, hopefully. Good luck.

5. zjazz thread starter macrumors 6502

did you keep the computers until you got the replacements? or you sent them back right away?

6. shorty66 macrumors member

Well I live in Germany and I've returned my MBPr twice. You can send it back and parallel they will send you the replacement.. so you are maybe 1-2 days without a Macbook.

But I can tell you its better to chose option 1. Get a refund and place a new order. Otherwise you can not be sure, that you get a complete new Macbook and not a refusal... that told me the support line...

7. zjazz, Sep 16, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2012

zjazz thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for your suggestions. I think I will do exchange, but I really don't think they could send me refusal/refurbished? They should send a brand new machine. Is it really they may send not a brand new one but refurb item? I don't think so but anyone has more info on that?

If that's the case, which I honestly don't think it is, I would return it and place a brand new order...

8. zjazz thread starter macrumors 6502

Apple representative told me that I'm going to receive a brand new computer, not refurbish or anything, it will be built for me. So I don't think my 2 days old computer will be exchanged to a refurbished.
    Does anyone else have additional info to this?:confused:

9. Macral macrumors member

They told me that I have 14 days to return it. The first replacement arrived in 10 days. I returned the original two days later. The second replacement arrived in seven days. I returned the first replacement on the next day.