Return Exemptions for 2018 Macbook Pro with 560X

rsths12

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 19, 2018
Hi Everyone,

I am just curious if anyone has gotten approvals for a return (or exchange) of a Macbook Pro with a 560X (or 555X) outside of the 30 day window in favor of a new Vega system? I have seen some reports of this online, but largely in YouTube or Reddit comments with scarce details. So, I figured I would ask here to see if anyone has been successful.

I tried myself, and while I made it far up the Apple Store chain of command, I was ultimately denied by a manager.

Thanks!

chscag

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2008
Fort Worth, Texas
To my knowledge, you have 14 days to return the MacBook Pro not 30. And unless Apple makes an exception, you're stuck with what you have.

John-117

macrumors member
Apr 22, 2010
Was able to get an exemption to the 14-day return window. Got on the phone with Apple Support and explained how I was looking to buy an upgraded model, and they allowed me to return it a little over 30 days after purchase. They even gave me the option of either returning it to a physical store or have it shipped back to them.

The call boiled down to explaining how the hardware would make a substantial difference in what I do for my job, and my intention to purchase another (more expensive) MacBook Pro immediately upon returning the old computer.

rsths12

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 19, 2018
To my knowledge, you have 14 days to return the MacBook Pro not 30. And unless Apple makes an exception, you're stuck with what you have.
Yes, that is my understanding as well. As I said, there have been comments about return exceptions occurring for upgraded graphics. But most of those have come from YouTube and Reddit and are hard to verify. So I thought I would ask here to see if anyone has been successful. The relative silence so far points to a big fat no.

[doublepost=1542844990][/doublepost]
Was able to get an exemption to the 14-day return window. Got on the phone with Apple Support and explained how I was looking to buy an upgraded model, and they allowed me to return it a little over 30 days after purchase. They even gave me the option of either returning it to a physical store or have it shipped back to them.

The call boiled down to explaining how the hardware would make a substantial difference in what I do for my job, and my intention to purchase another (more expensive) MacBook Pro immediately upon returning the old computer.
I had a very helpful CS rep to start, but once I got to the management level they said no quickly. I was way out of the window (90 days), so it appears that being an early adopter is unfortunate for me. Being a grad student, I bought it for the school year and its a bit frustrating to see a substantial upgrade that would help with the programs I use (Premiere Pro, Cinema 4D, etc.). Ohh well.

Last edited:

stevemiller

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2008
I tried calling apple the day after the announcement, I was like 32 days into ownership and they were like "nope, 30 is our limit"

kinda sucks that they're compromising with some people and not others on similar return windows. my job primarily involves 3d software and game engines, which made the MacBook Pro a tough purchase to justify in the first place since I still frequently have to resort to my windows box at work. having a substantially improved product appear within weeks of my purchase really felt like salt in the wounds, especially since it had been about 5 years of extremely incremental updates that had previously kept me waiting.

that said, there's a $530 CAD Vega 64 I'm now eyeing along with a Razer core x, especially since newegg/razer both are allowing holiday returns up to the end of January 2019.

IdentityCrisis

Suspended
Sep 9, 2018
I tried calling apple the day after the announcement, I was like 32 days into ownership and they were like "nope, 30 is our limit"

kinda sucks that they're compromising with some people and not others on similar return windows. my job primarily involves 3d software and game engines, which made the MacBook Pro a tough purchase to justify in the first place since I still frequently have to resort to my windows box at work. having a substantially improved product appear within weeks of my purchase really felt like salt in the wounds, especially since it had been about 5 years of extremely incremental updates that had previously kept me waiting.

that said, there's a $530 CAD Vega 64 I'm now eyeing along with a Razer core x, especially since newegg/razer both are allowing holiday returns up to the end of January 2019.
https://hardforum.com/threads/fs-vega-56-and-vega-64-gpus-seven-cards-total.1971876/

rsths12

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 19, 2018

What Vega 64 did you have in mind for CAD? I would be interested in it as wellas I am definitely looking at the eGPU option. It seems Adobe programs don’t utlilize eGPUs well though, which is very annoying considering Dave 2Ds video shows a 10 minute render improvement in Premiere with the Vega 20! Hopefully that changes.

Do you happen to know if Cinema 4D would see and improvement with and eGPU? I would be happy to make the investment in one as they are not pwweful. It just seems they aren’t not well integrated into software at all YET.

Reactions: idck_cn

Qaulity

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2018
I’d just like an option to pay for the upgrade to my current MBP. I’ve had it for 2 months. What a shame.

Reactions: Mythos99

rsths12

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 19, 2018
I’d just like an option to pay for the upgrade to my current MBP. I’ve had it for 2 months. What a shame.
I expressed the same sentiment to the Apple Store reps, but of course there is no option for this (currently).

I bet if they had upgraded iPhones after just 3 months they would have had an exchange or upgrade path available. Just my opinion though.

stevemiller

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2008
What Vega 64 did you have in mind for CAD? I would be interested in it as wellas I am definitely looking at the eGPU option. It seems Adobe programs don’t utlilize eGPUs well though, which is very annoying considering Dave 2Ds video shows a 10 minute render improvement in Premiere with the Vega 20! Hopefully that changes.

Do you happen to know if Cinema 4D would see and improvement with and eGPU? I would be happy to make the investment in one as they are not pwweful. It just seems they aren’t not well integrated into software at all YET.
ha, sorry for the confusion, by CAD I was actually referring to Canadian dollars for the pricing, not some CAD specialized version of the Vega 64.

I work in blender myself (professionally, amazingly!) and some user benchmarks suggested the Vega 64 approaches a 1080 in terms of path tracing acceleration in the cycles render engine. One of my coworkers uses c4d and octane, which I know is somewhat similar to cycles, but I think their AMD support is even more nascent, so he's still sticking to Nvidia.

Also blender's got a sweet update coming down the pipe that is transforming their viewport into a realtime render engine called eevee. we do a lot of unity/unreal projects and i'm hoping the egpu setup will add some pep there as well.

Finally, I'll test and see if there's been any progress with adobe apps when my kit arrives, although knowing adobe, I won't hold my breath. weirdly even the 1080 windows desktop I have at work with cuda enabled in premiere doesn't seem to chew through exports as fast as i'd have thought.

UBS28

macrumors 65816
Oct 2, 2012
I am going to try it many times untill I get it. Have been turned down 3 times already but I don’t care.

Qaulity

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2018
I am going to try it many times untill I get it. Have been turned down 3 times already but I don’t care.
how many days outside the return window are you? I'm about 40 days outside the window, kind of want to get the upgrade but also don't want to put a lot of effort into it. Maybe I'll call the senior customer support staff.

PROFESS0R

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2017
Successful with my return today, 29 days after receipt of my non Vega MacBook Pro. I created a thread on my swap process, and my most recent post in that thread may be useful. Essentially, I built and paid for the new Vega equipped MacBook Pro prior to asking Apple to take the old one back. I knew I could cancel the order easily if Apple refused the return of the old one. The ONLY difference between my old MacBook Pro and the new one was the Vega GPU. Also... I made certain that the Apple Representitive knew I used my computer professionally (in my case, I use it for econometric analyses) and that the additional 60% performance of the GPU was very important to me. I also let her know that I have never before asked to return any Apple product.

Joe

stevemiller

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2008
I was just past the 30 day mark when Vega was announced and apple support seemed to barely understand what a graphics card was when I called to enquire about exchange possibilities. definitely well past my return window now unfortunately. Still kinda raw about the whole thing, but I’ve got a Vega 64 + Razer Core X on order which I’m hoping will ultimately give me more performance in the long run.