Return for Dead pixels?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by XiXsilverXiX, Jan 27, 2010.

1. XiXsilverXiX macrumors newbie

hi all. im just curious. does apple fix/exchange your Iphone 3GS if it has like 7 or 17 dead pixels???

or is their another option for apple to pay them and they can replace the screen??????????

PLEASE help me macs

2. wfm100 macrumors newbie

I had an iPhone 3G and last summer noticed it had 5-8 dead pixels. I spent some time on the net looking for ways to "bring them back to life", all to no avail. One day, when I was in the local mall, I decided to go into the Apple store and see if they could do anything. I was a little embarrassed because it really wasn't a major problem.

The guy who met me at the door took my iPhone and after turning it on immediately said, "Oh, you've got some bad pixels. I'm sure we can do something for you". He excused himself and went back to the counter at the rear of the store and spoke with someone there and then returned to me in the front. He said I should go back and they'd take care of me.

The fellow at the counter looked at my iPhone and after a VERY brief review, said, "We can do either one of two things: replace the screen, or just give you a new iPhone”. I asked why I might opt for the screen replacement over a new iPhone, and he explained that there'd be no need to reinstall everything, if all I did was get a new screen. I thought about it for 10 seconds and decided I'd prefer a new iPhone. The fellow opened a drawer and pulled out a new iPhone and gave it to me! :)

3. erpbridge macrumors newbie

I just took my iPhone 3G to the Apple store in Providence, RI... it had a foreign obstruction under the glass (some piece of dirt, took up a 3x3 pixel area) and actually had a pixel dead. The guy looked at it, looked at my AppleCare plan I purchased.

He did a standard moisture check on all the open areas (sync port, headphone jack), then took it in back to disassemble to see if they could fix it. He came back, and issued me a replacement. 1 dead pixel, replaced.

He DID mention that the flashing, where the silver case surrounding the screen meets the white plastic back of the phone, was starting to separate, and that could void the warranty. From his explanation, that is where the foreign material comes in, and happens if you subject the phone to extreme amounts of pressure, as in carrying it in a front or rear pants pocket (hmmm... where else are you supposed to carry when its not winter, when a coat is not available?)

Regardless, Apple replaced it, for a foreign obstruction and 1 dead pixel.