Return for unibody?!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by foxx0775, Feb 23, 2009.

1. foxx0775 macrumors member

I bought an early 2008 penryn mbp recently.. but the whole 8600M graphics has really been on my mind.

ive just noticed im still within my 28 days with the reseller.. im seriously thinking about taking it back in favour for the new unibody instead (i dont like it as much but purely for the graphic cos my video has already started freezing and scrambling). i dont do graphics intensive work but it does it with just normal movies.

i could get it fixed by apple yes? would they replace the graphics card?

it will be an extra £400 or so for unibody.. is it worth it? or should i not worry?

or shell £600 for the 17" :p OH I'M STUCK

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Apple will replace the graphics card as many times as needed. Typically, after three repairs, AppleCare entitles you to a new computer of the current model.

3. PeterQC macrumors 6502a

PeterQC

Try to go to an Apple store to see if they can test your video card. Looking at how low their stock is with this generation, you might be lucky and get a free unibody (MAYBE)

4. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

you don't need the new graphics card to watch movies (unless your card is defective, then Apple should replace it for free). You will notice 0 improvement from DVD, youtube, etc playback.

5. EB66 macrumors 6502

i think what the OP is trying to say is that he thinks his graphics card has issues and that is the reason video is not working well

6. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

+1 ^^^ Yes, you are correct, but he's also asking about a replacement by taking it back and paying the extra money for the unibody MBP or the 17" unibody MBP. I think paying a little extra for either unibody would be best. IMHO...:cool:

7. foxx0775 thread starter macrumors member

i notice you have the penryn SFstate..

any problems? is that why you're recommending the unibody?

..don't like the idea of the glossy screen TBH

8. TheSVD macrumors 6502a

TheSVD

+1

9. MidwestStuck macrumors member

No, they will not replace your MBP if you only have a problem with the graphics card. It's likely that they will just take out the logic board. I'm sure most Apple Stores have logic boards for the old MBP at hand.