Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

snooruddin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 27, 2008
I am buying my macbook this Thursday, and I know that I will receive a free apple ipod touch with it. However I need the money to purchase an iphone (which i will get in November when I am eligable for an upgrade) or simply get apple credit, since I have been trying to find someone who will buy the itouch from me and cannot find anyone!

Can I return the free itouch?
Is there anyway around the system?

Sky Blue

Jan 8, 2005
It's not really 'free'. You buy both products and get a rebate for the Touch. Your best bet is eBay.

Jeremy08

macrumors regular
Jul 27, 2008
Not true...I purchased a black macbook a couple weeks ago, along with an ipod touch 16gb which i paid 400 plus tax for. Received the $299 rebate for my ipod about a week later. I exchanged my touch when the new 2.0 software came out, just a couple of days after i purchased it, being as I wasn't down to pay $10 after I had already spent nearly 2000. They gave me a new receipt for the exchange, and the new ipod touch. About a week later my girlfriend and i decided we would buy new iphones (3g). Went into the store, asked for a refund on my touch, supplied my exchange receipt, and received roughly $430 on a gift card, which i immediately applied towards our iphone purchases. Pretty sweet deal if you ask me...oh yeah, not to mention the $100 discount i already received on the computer for my student discount. :D

queshy

macrumors 68040
Apr 2, 2005
not so easy, OP. apple has you figured out. just sell the iPod. or if not, then dont accept it (that would be stupid though)

afireintonto

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2008
Portland
bring that **** to wal-mart! use someone else's receipt. my friend got the college discount so he too got the free ipod touch and he used one of his friends receipt for the touch, took it to wal-mart and got cash! then he bought the 3g at launch! i am still amazed by his clever-ness.
so he pretty much got a free iphone 3g.

ll PiStoNs ll

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2007
Not true...I purchased a black macbook a couple weeks ago, along with an ipod touch 16gb which i paid 400 plus tax for. Received the $299 rebate for my ipod about a week later. I exchanged my touch when the new 2.0 software came out, just a couple of days after i purchased it, being as I wasn't down to pay $10 after I had already spent nearly 2000. They gave me a new receipt for the exchange, and the new ipod touch. About a week later my girlfriend and i decided we would buy new iphones (3g). Went into the store, asked for a refund on my touch, supplied my exchange receipt, and received roughly $430 on a gift card, which i immediately applied towards our iphone purchases. Pretty sweet deal if you ask me...oh yeah, not to mention the $100 discount i already received on the computer for my student discount. :D

SO you are saying any ipod touch purchased after july 2nd (or whenever 2.0 came out) comes with 2.0 pre installed???
I heard that wasnt true

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003

You got lucky. You committed fraud.

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
Wtf?

It's called fraud, people. It's not legal. Sure, you can try, but you deserve whatever you get if you're caught. Dicks.

People like you are why stores make legitimate returns so tough.

snooruddin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 27, 2008
Thanks guys, i definatly dont want to do anything illegal. thats why i was wondering if I could just get store credit.
I heard that people can scam you through eBay, via paypal since that is what eBay uses, is that true?

So i can sell it on eBay, any other options? Im desperate here.
I dont think I would be able to find a friend with a itouch receipt from walmart anyways.

..thanks though!

techlover828

macrumors 68020
Jun 28, 2007
Maine
Thanks guys, i definatly dont want to do anything illegal. thats why i was wondering if I could just get store credit.
I heard that people can scam you through eBay, via paypal since that is what eBay uses, is that true?

So i can sell it on eBay, any other options? Im desperate here.
I dont think I would be able to find a friend with a itouch receipt from walmart anyways.

..thanks though!

ebay isn't that unsafe, especially just on ipod's. Paypal is designed to protect you, occasionally an account gets hijacked and you have to submit it to ebay, but I've sold plenty of stuff, and haven't had any problems selling.

I was thinking, if you did buy an ipod touch at walmart, and then return it, could you keep the receipt and then return another one? or is in their computer as returned? just thinking.

DarkHeraldMage

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2007
Fort Worth, TX
bring that **** to wal-mart! use someone else's receipt. my friend got the college discount so he too got the free ipod touch and he used one of his friends receipt for the touch, took it to wal-mart and got cash! then he bought the 3g at launch! i am still amazed by his clever-ness. so he pretty much got a free iphone 3g.

I was thinking, if you did buy an ipod touch at walmart, and then return it, could you keep the receipt and then return another one? or is in their computer as returned? just thinking.

You'd have to have the original receipt and the original box and a good explanation why you're returning it. And even then, you'd be lucky if your attempted fraud weren't questioned. This kind of thinking is ridiculous. People would rather lie and cheat companies out of money simply because they are in the "OMG MUST HAVE IPHONE NOW" mentality.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.