Return Gaming PC and buy a MacBook Pro?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by yourdream, Jul 19, 2011.

?

Return Gaming PC or Keep Gaming PC?

1. Return the Gaming PC and get a 15" MacBook Pro. And sell the current 13" MacBook Air.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Keep the Gaming PC. And keep the MacBook Air. Don't get a 15" MacBook Pro.

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  1. yourdream, Jul 19, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2011

yourdream macrumors regular

My parents recently bought me a CyberPowerPC from and a 24" monitor. They made it clear that I'm allowed to return the gaming pc and buy a 15" MacBook Pro if I want. But I am having trouble deciding whether to return the gaming pc and buy a 15" MacBook Pro instead. (Maybe a Build to Order model.) If I decide to buy a MacBook Pro, I would have to sell my current 13" MacBook Air. What I want in a laptop is portability and power. Since the MacBook Air uses a Intel Core 2 Duo and the MacBook Pro uses a i7 processor (Sandy Bridge), the MacBook Pro would be faster and slightly heavier. The gaming pc is more powerful but it lacks portability and the fan noise is a bit annoying. I have a 27" iMac that uses a Intel Core 2 Duo. My uses for a laptop are web browsing, email, music, using Pages, opening documents (Powerpoint) and maybe gaming.

Gaming PC Specifications:

Intel Core i7-2600K 3.4 GHz
    8 GB PC10666 DDR3
    1 TB 7200 RPM
    ATI Radeon HD 6870
    Coolermaster 690 II Advanced
    700 Watts Power Supply

13" MacBook Air Specifications:
    Intel Core 2 Duo 2.13GHz
    4GB 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM
    256GB flash storage
    NVIDIA GeForce 320M graphics

27" iMac Specifications:
    Intel Core 2 Duo 3.06 GHz
    4GB 1066 MHz PC3-8500 DDR3 SO-DIMM SDRAM
    1 TB 7200 RPM
    ATI Radeon HD 4670

2. AppleDApp macrumors 68020

AppleDApp

What games are you playing? Game selection for macs is limited but improving. For web browsing and email you will not need a core i7. You seem to already have computers that fit your need. I'd return sell the iMac return and the gaming rig. Keep the MBA for school work and stuff once you set your mind on what you will be doing with the machine. Get something that fits your needs.

3. yourdream thread starter macrumors regular

Counter-Strike: Source.

4. AppleDApp macrumors 68020

AppleDApp

your current systems can play CS source I don't see why you would need the gaming rig. Do you have an OS preference? Maybe sell the iMac or both and get a new iMac and keep the air for school.

5. yourdream thread starter macrumors regular

The game runs better on the gaming pc. I don't have an OS preference.

6. AppleDApp macrumors 68020

AppleDApp

Yes CS:S will definitely run better on your new machine but the point is your old machine is perfectly capable of running it as well maybe run Onyx on the iMac to see if anything is holding it back.

7. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

If CS:S is seriously the only game you play, then I would also suggest returning the PC, or optionally selling the iMac. Even the MBA can play it fine. I wouldn't go for the 15" MBP because your laptop usage isn't very heavy so having an ultraportable like MBA is a better choice.

As for the PC's fan noise, you can easily change the fans for quieter ones.

8. AppleDApp macrumors 68020

AppleDApp

PC's are also typically louder based on your heatsink fan and HDD, case and case fans. Your case is fairly quiet I can't speak for your other components.

9. zarathu macrumors regular

zarathu

You should be aware that swers of the new macbook pros(mid 2011 Sandy Bridge models) are complaining of excess heat to the point that they need to use one of those lap top fan systems connected to the USB port to make them comfortable. Apple denies that there is a problem.

10. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

It doesn't list anything about the fans or cooling so it's hard to say what is causing the noise. If I had to guess, it's the GPU or PSU fan. That is why I always build my own PCs so I can select whatever components I want to make sure they aren't too noisy.