iPad Return iPad 3rd Gen to get 4th Gen?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by bgiaach, Mar 26, 2014.

1. bgiaach macrumors member

So I have an iPad Retina 3rd gen. It's got a nasty dent to the charge port. I have apple care for it so I was wondering what do you think the odds are that if since its damaged I could bring it to an apple store and they would swap it out for a 4th gen iPad since they might not have any 3rd gens anymore. Think it's likely that that's what will happen?

2. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

They keep older models around for warranty replacement. So even if you have Applecare+ to cover accidental damage you'll get a refurbished 3rd gen in exchange.

3. Rodster macrumors 68040

Exactly, rest assure OP, Apple is WELL stocked with unloved iPad 3's. :D

4. l.i. bruce fan macrumors member

I agree with the other replies (repliers?) that Apple will not replace it under Applecare with a different model.

But I'm curious to hear your result if you try.

I tried to exchange my Verizon iPad 3 under AppleCare for an Att iPad 3 so I could add it to my mobileshare plan and get LTE service, no dice! They said they could not, couldn't do it to change colors, etc. cause then everyone would try to do that, which I kind of understand. But considering the way the carriers screwed many of the post-paid users (frying their sim if they didn't re-activate within 4 months) I thought it was worth a try...

Please let us know your experience if you try!

5. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

Sorry to go off topic, but you should be able to put an ATT sim in your Verizon iPad. I have a T-Mobile one in my Verizon Air.

6. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

This. You won't get LTE. But you should get 3G/4G/HSPA+.

7. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

You can also get 200mb for free every month.

8. l.i. bruce fan macrumors member

Thanks all! I knew that (and have had a T-Mobile free 200 mb card in there for a while now) but the iPad 3 had carrier specific radio chips, so I can't get LTE on anything other than Verizon...and after their BS frying my sim cause I hadn't put any $$ on it for 4 months and not being willing to give me a new month to month sim I refuse to re up with them!

9. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

Two days ago a friend of mine had his iPad 3 replaced with .... another iPad 3.
    So I'd say NO, it won't happen.

10. goobot macrumors 603

goobot

When i bought my iPhone 5 day now they had no black so i got white, out of the box it had a huge scratch. Bring it in the next day to swap it and the nice guy allowed me to get a black one instead too.

11. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

If it is that close to when you got it they are a bit more flexible as you can just return it and buy the other one which is probably what you technically did.

12. Charadis macrumors 6502a

I had my white iPad 3rd gen 32GB AT&T version swapped out just last month, March 3rd or 4th, and the Genius pulled out a 3rd gen same model iPad from a brown box. He even claimed it was a brand new unit (even tho I knew it was probably refurbed..DK serial...but I was grateful since i was one day past my warranty, and this "new" unit is noticeably better than my previous one, in terms of screen quality).

So whatever you do, good luck. You'll just have to take your chances. But I can reassure you, it's very possible they may have white 32GB cellular 3rd gen iPads waiting in the back*. If that's your model. :) Sent from my iPad.

*if you visit the Apple Store in LR, AR.