iPad mini Return iPad Mini in Transit/Purchase at store?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by dsmithpdx, Nov 14, 2013.

1. dsmithpdx macrumors newbie

Hi all,

I ordered a 16GB iPad Mini Retina WiFi on launch day, and like many others, I see that it is currently in Hong Kong with an estimated delivery date of 11/21 according to Apple, and 11/19 according to UPS. Now, I see that my local Apple stores have them in stock today. Question: can I return the one I ordered online for a refund? I see that the Apple website gives me the option to return it for a refund right now, even though I haven't even received it, which seems odd. I'd just hate to get stuck with two of them if I cannot return the shipped one. :cool: Thanks for any feedback!

2. chrise2 macrumors 6502

I'm in the same boat. I'm planning on just taking it back to the Apple store when it delivers. Everything has at least a 14 day return policy so it should be fine.

3. rmhop81 macrumors 68020

rmhop81

since it's the holidays you have until January 7 to return them

Holiday Return Policy

Items purchased at the Apple Online Store that are received between November 1, 2013 and December 25, 2013, may be returned through January 7, 2014. Please note that all other terms and conditions provided in the Apple Online Store Sales and Refunds Policy are still applicable with respect to such items purchased. All purchases made after December 25, 2013 are subject to the Standard Return Policy.

4. dsmithpdx thread starter macrumors newbie

Now there's a thought...There shouldn't be any issue with that, right? I don't see why there would.

5. rmhop81 macrumors 68020

rmhop81

i am in the same boat. i picked up 64gb LTE's last night and have some to arrive on Monday. I clicked that return items button and it said you can mail them back or bring them into an Apple Store. so should be good

6. puma1552 macrumors 601

Why would you not be able to return something you bought?

Of course you can return what you bought.

7. dsmithpdx thread starter macrumors newbie

Good point. :p I just ordered one to pickup at the store. Sweet!

8. sealos macrumors regular

I have 2 coming on Monday and bought a couple LTEs last night since I wasn't expecting them to ship so soon. Called this AM to cancel, Apple rep was apologetic and offered to send me 2 free cases.

Call them up and let them know you will be inconvenienced in having to go into the store to return.

Good luck.

9. vtstarck macrumors regular

I ordered an iPad on November 9 and selected ship to store during checkout because I figured the store would get a shipment faster than delivering to my house. My iPad was scheduled to be delivered to the store on November 21.

I checked online if my local store had any iPads in stock on November 13 for same-day pickup and they did. Same exact model, color, etc.

I didn't think it was fair that because I selected in-store pickup four days earlier that I would have to wait longer than someone doing in-store pickup after me. I called Apple, had them cancel my order and place a new one for in-store pickup. Twenty minutes later I had an email saying my iPad was available.

10. jonfarr macrumors 6502a

jonfarr

I ordered my 128GB att one online after launch and found out 2 days later a local store had one, so I cancelled the online order and picked up at the store. I am now playing with it and it is awesome! Screen has no issues and is so much more crisp just like the 5s.

11. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

they should provide an option to re-direct the package to their facilities instead of having it sent to u and then return.

12. rmhop81 macrumors 68020

rmhop81

they are hoping u decide to keep it ;)

13. macjunkie33 macrumors member

I ordered one at 7am and then saw they were in stock so I grabbed one in the afternoon after work. Now returning the other to Apple but considering holding on to it if supplies get really tight, anyone want a 16GB Space Gray Retina Mini?

14. deaglecat macrumors 6502

seriously ? they have a boat load of them !

15. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

I suspect there are a lot of people in this forum and elsewhere in the same position -- me included. I ordered 3 online. Two are in shipment b/c a local Apple store got them in stock & it was too late to cancel the online orders.

Apple wasted time, effort, & $ conducting the launch as they did. Shockingly, I don't think they thought it through or understood when people buy these kind of items instant gratification rules. They should have either shipped what they had to stores and done personal p/u for the first day and then added the shipping option.

16. rmhop81 macrumors 68020

rmhop81

right now ;)

17. MacDevil7334 macrumors 6502a

MacDevil7334

Possibly stupid question: does Apple charger restocking fee if you use the iPad for a few days before returning it (i.e. If the box is opened). If so, how much is it? I haven't been able to find a straight answer online.

18. bambooshots macrumors 6502a

This sounds really ironic after reading the other thread about people wishing brick and mortar stores to go under.

19. sealos macrumors regular

They used to, but no longer.

Given their holiday policy, you can buy and use it until January, then return it for a full refund.

20. PeterKG macrumors 6502

I ordered one online that has shipped, and have since bought one in store. I'm going to open the one that comes on 11/19 from China, compare displays, keep the best and return the other.

I used a different form of payment for each, and think whichever one I return will be refunded to the connected payment, and I want the payment on the one that shipped from China. Does anyone know if you can tell them which card to return payment to?

Thanks! :)

21. MacDevil7334 macrumors 6502a

MacDevil7334

Yeah this is what I want to do too (thus my question about the restocking fee).

Excellent! Thanks for the response!