Return iPhone 4 -- but what about AT&T activation fee?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jlblodgett, Jul 13, 2010.

1. jlblodgett macrumors 6502a

Assuming for the sake of argument that I did decide to return my iPhone 4 (due to signal/reception issues; due to blue image / white balance error in camera software / etc).

I know that Apple says there is a certain timeframe to return, so I'm not worried so much about that.

What about AT&T though? For starters, when I bought the new iPhone 4 I got charged a one-time activation fee. (I think it was $18 or something) I also had to sign up for a new 2-year contract.

If I return the iPhone 4, will AT&T switch me back to my former contract AND credit the $18 activation fee?

2. beamer8912 macrumors 65816

You'll get your old contract/upgrade back. If you cancel in the first 3 days you'll get your activation fee back as well.

http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-ph...erviceAgreement&q_termsName=Service+Agreement

3. jlblodgett thread starter macrumors 6502a

4. beamer8912 macrumors 65816

There might also be a restocking fee. Apple waived the restocking fee, but I'm not sure if that applies to all iPhones or just those ordered from Apple.com and purchased in an Apple Store.

I'd check with AT&T to make sure.

5. dauntless macrumors newbie

I just returned my iPhone4 yesterday to the AT&T store where I purchased it from. I wasn't charged the restocking fee because of the Apple announcement. But I did ask for the activation fee to be removed, and the first rep refused. I had to argue with the store manager for 10 minutes but he finally issued a credit to me for $36 the new line activation fee. ( I already have a family plan with two lines, but added the iphone4 for a third line) When you ask for a refund the rep will say there is a 3 day return policy where you can get the activation fee waived. But just like the original restocking fee charge was removed shouldn't a new policy be implemented because of the design flaws regarding the activation fee. Was the need for the iPhone4 bumper announced within this three day period? (This was all my argument to the AT&T manager)

Make sure you bring the original credit card you purchased the phone with or they won't return it. I think this is really lame because almost every store Best Buy, Walmart, etc. simply keeps a record in the computer and just issues a refund back to the card without having to swipe it. Also, when I mentioned the reason to the original rep was because of bad signal and dropped calls she stated " It has been in the news and papers for weeks, it has been common knowledge" What a stupid excuse! Also, she said "Well that is an Apple problem not an AT&T problem" If someone with a Toyota came to return their car with bad breaks do you think the car salesman would say " This has been in the news for weeks why are you complaining" This was my first iPhone and will be my last!

6. Hawkeye411 macrumors 68000

Hawkeye411

Glad you were able to return it and get a full refund. I HATE having to resort to arguing with the sales people before getting the service you deserve in the first place! :mad: