Return iPhone 4 for replacement?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by JasonR, Oct 29, 2010.

1. JasonR macrumors 6502a

JasonR

So if I take the bumper off my phone I get extremely crappy signal. Never fail. If I get a replacement phone from apple...will it be any better?

I love the phone..just hate the signal issue.

2. SR2 macrumors regular

I'd take it back, some phones have better reception than others. Don't listen to people that tell you otherwise, They're more worried about Apple's market cap than anything else. It's your phone and you're the one that has to live with it. If you're not happy with it then take it back and ask for a new one.

3. SnowDX macrumors 6502

Can you just keep the bumper on? or are you looking to lose the bumper?

4. crazytiger86 macrumors 6502

I really dont think this is going to happen. I mean, you were put on notice about the reception problems of the iPhone 4. You were also put on notice about the quality of ATTs signal. Moreover, the problem is mitigated once you have a bumper.

It may be an issue, but its made a non-issue because you bought the phone knowing the problems it had, you kept it past 30 days knowing it had problems, and they (making an assumption) gave you a free bumper and you took it.

5. JasonR thread starter macrumors 6502a

JasonR

I actually bought the Phone on LAUNCH DAY, so I had no idea the iPhone 4 had reception issues until I purchased.

I do need to take the bumper off occasionally. Sometimes headphone jacks will not work with the bumper, sometimes I forget the bumper, and sometimes I prefer a slimmer phone.

All I want to know is if later iPhone 4s have this issue!?

6. iShorty macrumors regular

iShorty

My replacement which got replaced because of a screen issue is worse at keeping signal than my original, I wouldn't recommend it.

7. Tom G. macrumors 68000

Tom G.

I would say no, they will not replace it. You've had it since launch day which means you know all the issues and the fact that you need the bumper for your phone to work to your requirements. I take it that you got a free bumper or a refund for one that you had purchased. This again means that you knew of all the rules and issues.

The fact that you apparently now want to carry the phone naked is of no concern to Apple. If I were the genius that you will talk to I would politely explain the above to you and say no. I think that, that is exactly what will happen. If you want to try anyway remember the best course is to be extremely polite. It will get you further. Politeness does pay, but in this case most likely not enough.

8. TruckdriverSean macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

As has been discussed, every iPhone 4 has the signal attenuation issue and operating a "naked" iPhone in a low-signal area will result in dropped calls and slowed data connection.

While it's certainly possible that an iPhone could have an extra defect (effecting signal) that would entitle a replacement, your description of the problem (bumper on, signal. Bumper off, no signal) sounds like the same old issue and I doubt you'll get a replacement.(or that if you did, you'd be happy)

It sucks, but this is a known (and arguably) compensated-for defect.

9. madmaxmedia macrumors 68030

No harm in trying.

I got an iPhone in mid-October, and strangely I can't drop bars by holding it wrong. This is the case no matter how many bars there are to start with.

I do have occasional proximity sensor issues though.

EDIT- LOL, I just tried it again and I think the death grip is "working".

10. crazytiger86 macrumors 6502

JasonR, if it bugs you, make an appointment with the Genius Bar and report back!

11. lamina macrumors 68000

lamina

Picked mine up last Thursday, and can't get the bars to drop.

12. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

You are either fooling yourself or live under a tower.

I have had 3 different iPhone 4 units and they all did the exact same thing. They have not changed their design. If one uses his phone in a good signal area all will be OK but if you are in "fringe" coverage, you will get dropped calls.

13. Pez555 macrumors 68000

Pez555

sigh.

if it bothers you OP, make a genius appointment and see what happens. You have nothing to lose (apart from reception).

14. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

Agreed. They will replace it for just about any reason.

15. Goldinboy17 macrumors 65816

Goldinboy17

That's one of the best and worst things about Apple. They have excellent customer service but there are people who take advantage of this.

16. ItsJustafnPhone macrumors 6502a

yeah and ruin it for the rest of us + reason why apple products are more expensive then they should be

way to go OCD/anal retentive people

your phone is normal, there is no "updated" hardware OP