Return iPhone 5s -- reset upgrade eligibility? (Verizon)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Leonard1818, Sep 23, 2013.

1. Leonard1818 macrumors 68020

Hi Everyone,

I purchased a launch day 5s for myself and used one of my account upgrades. I intend to return it and get one that better suits my wife (white and smaller memory size).

Does anyone know how long after Apple receives the return that they reset the upgrade eligibility? Does anyone have any experience with this?

I called Apple customer service and inquired but she "didn't know how that works" so I'm curious as to how it will work and worried that something may get messed up in doing so.

Thoughts? Experiences?

Thanks in advance!

2. Clarkish macrumors newbie

14 days they'll reset the eligibility, 30 days just to a do a regular in store exchange I believe.

3. Leonard1818 thread starter macrumors 68020

Thanks for the reply. So you're saying it will take 14 days for them to reset the eligibility?

4. brun019822 macrumors member

5. Leonard1818 thread starter macrumors 68020

Thanks -- I assume you mean Verizon? (or does Apple have the ability to do that?)

6. applehappy macrumors regular

I did it in store. The apple employee called the 800 number for apple sales and asked them to cancel my order. They did and the upgrade was available 3 minutes later.

7. Leonard1818 thread starter macrumors 68020

excellent info-- thank you for your reply.

8. mightygitis macrumors 6502

mightygitis

Were you planning on returning it to a store and buying in the store? Or returning to the store and buying online?

9. aneftp macrumors 68040

Apple retail store does it almost automatically to reset eligibility.

10. Leonard1818 thread starter macrumors 68020

Just to update this thread for future reference -- this post is correct. I told the guy at apple I would need to call verizon to reset the upgrade eligibility and he said "no, here at apple it's instant" and it was. As soon as the return was processed, the eligibility was reset and I was able to buy the new phone on the spot.

Thanks for the replies!

11. cubanJimbo macrumors newbie

cubanJimbo

All of these are great stories, but what about when you buy the iPhone 5S on launch day from Apple.com and it takes 2 weeks to before it even ships out from China?

Then, it takes a week to get to USA. After only 12 days, I tried to return the phone and found out it can't be returned to an Apple retail store when bought online. So, you have to ship it back to Apple (another 7 days). Now, AT&T is wanting me to pay the ETF if I cancel service. WTF?

Has no one else ever returned an iPhone purchased from Apple.com? They did not even let me cancel the order online. You had to call 800-MY APPLE, which was very busy around launch day.

12. vmaniqui macrumors 6502a

vmaniqui

call AT&T. it should be from the time you received your iPhone as it's the time you activated it. so there is a gray area there. insist on the time you received it and not on the time you ordered it.

13. ABC5S macrumors 68040

Just did this with my Verizon phone. I had to mail my iPhone 5S (white) back since I bought it via online store. It took over a week to have it show up on Apples return site. As soon as it was scanned and checked out, the upgrade eligibility returned almost immediately. If you are able to return it to an Apple store it will be checked out by Apple and the process in getting your eligibility back real fast.

Attached Files: