Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bluelondon

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 17, 2008
i know there is already a thread about the 3g iphone's poor battery performance, but here i'd like to know if other 3g iphone owners would actually consider exchanging their iphones due to such bad battery performance?

i mean this morning my iphone was fully charged. it's now 11:30am, i'll i've done is play around 10 minutes of dizzy bee game and maybe listen to 10 minutes of cold play on the speaker and the battery indicator is already down to half and i haven't even made or received any calls!

i have 3g and location services off.

surely this can't be right, i haven't even got through half the day yet. could some batteries perform worse than others?

philgilder

macrumors 68000
Sep 30, 2007
UK
that sounds terrible
yesterday, i listened to music for 3 hours, used wifi for an hour and 3g for 1 1/2 hours, played some games (such as crash bandicoot - demading) and still had 1/4 battery left (i would like more, but its fine)
i would go to an apple store

bluelondon

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 17, 2008
lucky man :(

i'll pay apple a visit later today. although i'm abroad in the UK so i don't know how much the apple guys here can do for me, as i purchased my phone in the states.

Mr X

macrumors regular
Jan 19, 2008
London, UK
Are you sure it's not anything to do with MobileMe (if you have it?)

My 1st Gen phone did exactly as you describe this morning and it was to do with MobileMe on continual search for new email. The server for email is down for some customers and it just drained away! I've switched it off on the iPhone and all back to normal.

bluelondon

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 17, 2008
Are you sure it's not anything to do with MobileMe (if you have it?)

My 1st Gen phone did exactly as you describe this morning and it was to do with MobileMe on continual search for new email. The server for email is down for some customers and it just drained away! I've switched it off on the iPhone and all back to normal.

no i don't use mobile me (isn't it a paid service anyway?). and i am currently outside of the US on business so i'm not sure what it could be that's draining the battery so fast. but even at home in the states my battery dies way too fast to be normal.

nimda0

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2008
D-town!
i know there is already a thread about the 3g iphone's poor battery performance, but here i'd like to know if other 3g iphone owners would actually consider exchanging their iphones due to such bad battery performance?

i mean this morning my iphone was fully charged. it's now 11:30am, i'll i've done is play around 10 minutes of dizzy bee game and maybe listen to 10 minutes of cold play on the speaker and the battery indicator is already down to half and i haven't even made or received any calls!

i have 3g and location services off.

surely this can't be right, i haven't even got through half the day yet. could some batteries perform worse than others?

Return it. Mine works great.

I used mine for about 9 hours so far straight and it's still only slightly below 1/2 battery meter.

From 10:30pm to 11:00pm - on the phone
From 11:00pm to 3:00am - listening to music, downloading apps, playing with apps
From 3am to 4am - watching a movie on the iphone :)
From 4am to now (8:24am) - playing with apps, listening to music, and another 20 minutes of being on the phone

All of this was done with 3g enabled and connected (i never turn it off), and i even used the gps once.

bluelondon

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 17, 2008
Return it. Mine works great.

I used mine for about 9 hours so far straight and it's still only slightly below 1/2 battery meter.

From 10:30pm to 11:00pm - on the phone
From 11:00pm to 3:00am - listening to music, downloading apps, playing with apps
From 3am to 4am - watching a movie on the iphone :)
From 4am to now (8:24am) - playing with apps, listening to music, and another 20 minutes of being on the phone

All of this was done with 3g enabled and connected (i never turn it off), and i even used the gps once.

Thanks, that's all I needed to know. Unfortunatley I'm abroad right now in the UK and won't be back in the states for another 2-3 weeks meaning I won't be able to take my iPhone back to apple more than a month after I bought it, will apple still change my iPhone?

dh1048

macrumors newbie
Jul 22, 2008
Try this first

Some of the problems might not be with the actual battery, but instead with the software. I was having similar problems before I upgraded to the newest firmware. You should try that before you return it.

larrymarshall2

macrumors member
Jul 15, 2008
When did you buy it?

The reason I ask when did you buy it is because if you bought within the last 3-4 days, the battery isn't able to fully charge.

I know some people have said that these batteries don't need to "charge" up but I was in nearly the same boat as you...listen to music, surf net for a total of 2hours (3g on) and it was 20% life. Now that it's been 1 week and 2 days, I'm able to do the same stuff for 5-6 hours before 10% comes up.

Just a thought. I was going to return mine until I started lasting throughout the whole day without the charger. I'm pretty happy now.

bluelondon

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 17, 2008
Some of the problems might not be with the actual battery, but instead with the software. I was having similar problems before I upgraded to the newest firmware. You should try that before you return it.

i'll give it a try, where can i upgrade to the latest firmware?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.