return iphone4 upon i5 announcement

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by imMICHAEL, Sep 21, 2011.

1. imMICHAEL macrumors newbie

I have a blackberry curve right now, can't stand it. need a device that keeps up with my pace for school and work.

I'm planning to join my grandparents family plan tomorrow and am considering getting a white iphone 4 until iphone 5/4s is announced and just returning it and being credited back

is this possible? or at&t very strict on this when the new product comes out and i want to return the one i just bought?

anyone ever tried?

:apple:

2. spikefood macrumors regular

I think you get 30 days to return the phone for a different one.

3. RafaelT macrumors 65816

RafaelT

Here is the only problem with that plan... The only way you are going to be getting an iPhone 5 anytime soon is to pre order or be at the front of a very long line outside an Apple store. Getting the phone now and returning it is most likely going to make that impossible. Just wait the two weeks.

4. Hook'Em2006 macrumors 6502

I agree with this fellow. When the iPhone 4 was released it was next to impossible to find one. I got lucky and was in a Wal-Mart in a small country town one morning about 2 weeks after it was released and they had just received a shipment. They had only received like 10. Even the Dallas area stores were only receiving 10-15 a week for about 2 months after it was launched.

So I wouldn't try to buy and then return for a iPhone 4s/5. I don't see that being feasible.

5. TM WAZZA macrumors 68000

I understand there's a 30 day return policy. So I don't see how this wouldn't apply just because there's a newer version that came out.

6. imMICHAEL thread starter macrumors newbie

My plan is to just buy the phone and use it until it's announced. Probably the day of or the day after the phone is announced, I'll take it back and be credited back the fee I paid for the equipment and wait until preordering begins. I understand that preorder usually begins several days after and thats why I have this mentality that it might work: because I have those several days in between returning the phone and preorder beginning.

But returning my phone won't give AT&T reason to not accept my preorder, correct?

If anything, I already have the idea of camping out in front of my nearest AT&T/apple store anyways..

EDIT: I know all this sounds silly because its only days until announcements but I also want to test out AT&Ts service before I lock myself in for 2 years. I'm about to pay ETF for my Tmobile line and I was using an i4 on their horrible EDGE network.. I want the best possible service coverage for my 3G

7. TM WAZZA macrumors 68000

I mean, if you want to take this risk, go ahead. We can't guarantee what the outcome will be, unless someone here has done so before. Maybe return the iPhone when the keynote date is announced?