return macbook pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ru03j89, Jun 11, 2008.

1. ru03j89 macrumors newbie

hey i just bought a new macbook pro at a store.
    however, after opening it up i found a dead pixal. So i was just wondering if i can walk into the store tomorrow and exchange straight up and bring another macbook pro home.
    I cant have them send me through mail cuz im leaving the country in 2 days.
    thanks

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I'd call the store and ask them if they can do that for you, before making a trip.

3. ru03j89 thread starter macrumors newbie

4. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

The guys over @ Apple care / genius bar have been pretty good to me. I've had stuff swapped out after 10.4 seconds of 'diagnostic'.

Hey this don't work
    (Genius blank stare)
    Ok
    (new item)

If its a Brand new unit just slap that sucker back in the box and tell them that you demand a quality experience on your pro line of laptops and that your windows box can handle apps just fine if they don't want your service

(jk on that last part).

but anyway they should replace it. If i were you, I would book my appointment now, online. There probably won't be any spots left if you try to do a walk in.

BTW After reading your post it may not be the Apple store. In that case, it will depend. I'd call.

5. waw74 macrumors 68030

I've looked online, and found this
    http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/04/08/16/apple_document_details_guidelines_for_handling_lcd_pixel_anomalies.html
    While a final inspection reportedly takes into account the proximity of faulty pixels to one another as well as location, in general Apple deems 3 bright subpixels to be acceptable on LCD displays that ranges from 12.1 inches to 15.2 inches in size. Meanwhile, on a 17-inch to 20-inch LCD, the company finds 4 bright subpixels, 6 dark subpixels, or a combination of 8 bright and dark

If you're leaving in 2 days, don't get your hopes up about having it fixed before you leave if they will do it.
    I've had to have a fan replaced a couple of times in my old MBP, and it took 2 or 4 days depending on their backlog, and if they had to have the piece shipped. Displays might be a more common piece to have on hand, but one would think fans would be too.
    If it's a new purchase, you might try to get it diagnosed before you leave if you're going to be gone a while though.

6. ru03j89 thread starter macrumors newbie

sorry im new to macs. What are 10.4 diagnostic?
    also are they just going to give me a new machine?
    thanks

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Re-read... that's 10.4 seconds. Also, you haven't said whether you bought it at an Apple store or another store, like Best Buy. Why not just call the store and ask them how they'll handle it?

8. ru03j89 thread starter macrumors newbie

so he opened the box up and looked at the computer in store?
    sorry if im a bit slow...lol

9. iToaster macrumors 68000

iToaster

I doubt they will give you a new a new machine for such a minor problem as a dead/stuck pixel. In fact, they'll probably not even fix it for you, seeing as it is within spec.

10. ru03j89 thread starter macrumors newbie

are you serious? wow. i thought apple has better service.... this is sad

11. Eric. macrumors regular

I exchanged a 42" Sharp AQUOS over a year ago for a 46" (they don't stock the 42") at Best Buy because of a single dead pixel that showed up within the first 30 days. I was seventeen then and I felt I should be getting a perfect screen at ~$2200.

12. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

Unfortunately its not just apple with the dead pixel policy. Every company has this. Some companies (Hypersonic) charge extra for a "no dead pixel guarantee" on laptops. It sucks and I dont agree with it either but thats how it is.

13. Dmac77 macrumors 68020

Dmac77

Yeah, unfortunately all computer companies have a policy that states that you have to have a certain number of dead/stuck pixels to get the screen/computer replaced. It sucks, and I will be so pissed at Apple if that happens to me when I get my MBP.

14. SchneiderMan macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

what are you talking about? its a defect and apple returns all defective items for free! been there done that

15. Dmac77 macrumors 68020

Dmac77

They won't replace the computer for 1 dead/stuck pixel. If he's lucky they might try to get it unstuck, but even that is unlikely. It's the sad and unfortunate truth.

Don

16. SchneiderMan macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

they will do anything you want, you need to speak right and demand

Edit: when i got a white ipod video, it came in those black pull out boxes and mine had some
    dirt from the card board inside, so i went back and told them i want a new one because i should not be getting
    a "dirty" ipod, they gave me a new one with no questions

17. Dmac77 macrumors 68020

Dmac77

Apple's official policy is that they don't have to replace a screen/computer if it has under 3 dead pixels. Now I'm not saying that he shouldn't try to get it replaced, but he shouldn't expect anything. Apple doesn't have to do a damn thing for you unless they say they do.

Don

18. Jiddick ExRex macrumors 65816

Jiddick ExRex

Your statements are a bit too absolute for my taste as there are numerous examples on this forum of Apple replacing laptops no questions asked. What you meant to say was most likely that Apple is within their right not to replace a laptop for one dead pixel, which is entirely correct.

19. Dmac77 macrumors 68020

Dmac77

Yes, that is what I was trying to get across. I just think that people need to get it through their heads that apple is not required to do something that is against their policy because you bought a computer from them. I absolutely hate it when people think that they are entitled to things that they aren't entitled to.

Don

20. jtus macrumors member

You can return anthing you buy at a Apple store within 14 days no question asked. Just return it and buy another on but get them to set it up for you and you will see if there is any problem at all. I purchased a mackbook for ny daughter and there was a small problem and returned it to the store 5 days later and they replaced it with no problem.

21. notatrumpetpro macrumors member

I ordered my new Penryn MBP day of launch and when I received it looked fine. On the second day of having it I noticed a dead pixel so I scheduled an appointment at the Genius bar and took it in. Brought my online order receipt, along with everything it came with into the store. Booted it up, showed them the dead pixel.

The only problem I had was that I ordered it stock but added the apple remote which made my order, a custom order. The manager said he typically can't exchange a custom order but he thought it was silly that Apple started charging for the remote and ended up exchanging it.

The whole ordeal took about a hour, mainly because I had installed some apps. and loaded pictures and music onto the machine and they copied my old drive to the new.

Don't let these people tell you  wont do this or that. It wont hurt to try, especially since the machine is within the 2 week window. Hope that helps!

I totally disagree with you. It is not against apples policy to exchange a computer because it is broken (within that 14 day window). I don't now of a computer company that would exchange, for free, a computer purchased within the first week or two that has a defect. Now if the computer is a few months old, or older I would understand. But the guy is talking a few days old. It is his right to have a 100% working machine, including not having dead pixels...it's a no brainer.

/end rant

22. James17 macrumors 6502

Take it to the Apple Store, tell them you are not satisfied with it as it has a dead pixel and because it is within 14 days they will replace it for you there and then. Done it for me yesterday although it was for battery issues it was because it was within the first 14 days.

23. jnc macrumors 68020

jnc

Wow, it sure is different here in the UK. You can return any purchase, opened or not, within a two week period, no questions asked. They'll ask you the reason for return and that's about it. Done, refunded.

24. kgeier82 macrumors 65816

yea they dont have to do a damn thing. Heres the deal though. Walk in, tell them you want to return the machine. When they ask why, tell them you spent 2500$, and the screen has a dead pixel. Tell them you didnt spend that kinda money to get all the way home to see a dead pixel. When they ask what you would like them to do to retain your business, tell them.

Im willing to bet they get you another box, just ask. If they dont. Return the machine, and dont buy another Mac again. Tell them theyve lost your future business.

Pro machines should have NOTHING wrong with them. There needs to be a higher standard there. Im not saying the non-pro lineup should be second rate either, but when i spend 2500$ on a laptop, it damn well better look the part.

Funny story:

I bought a MBP a while back, the 2.16 C2d version. this was maybe 1 or 2 yrs ago. Anyways, I got home, from my 40 mi trip, and turned that puppy on. It had, and no joke, 42 dead pixels. I was on the phone with apple instantly. They said to take it back to the store, show them, and they would replace it. I thought 'ok', so i did that, very unhappy about "another trip" for the same product. I got into the store, and HAD TO TALK TO A GENUIS. This guy was a real piece of work. He looked at the laptop, and said, "i dont see it". He was obviously being ignorant. His genuis counterpart walked by and said, "How can you not see that!" I instantly dropped that genius and dealt with the guy that had walked by.

I then also spoke to the manager, showed him the screen, and told him what Genius#1 had wasted my time with. He got a stern ass chewing on the spot. I walked out with a new box in hand, which i didnt think to check in store (everything was ok though).

I was just so mad when I turned it on for genius #1, and he said that. I wanted to crack the LCD over his head and say, "well replace it now, it has a big hole in it!"

that has not been my only bad experience there. The second time it was on a MB, suffice to say I was in and out in 5min, and spoke directly to the store manager. The girl kept insisting i speak with a genius first, and i said, " if you want to keep your job, get the manager." She did, he came over from the spot he was, and all was fine. He couldnt understand why she didnt come and get him the first time I asked, nor did I.

Visit this link after your experience:
    http://www.apple.com/retail/feedback/

They wanna know how it goes! And ill tell them everytime from now on