Return MBP for new iMac?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by MacRazySwe, Aug 28, 2007.

1. MacRazySwe macrumors 6502a

Hey guys!
    My name is Richard and I'm 14.
    I use my Mac for creating videos, watching movies, listening to music, store photos and I was thinking of starting with GarageBand too!
    My first post at this forum, but I've been reading as a guest for quite long time.

So here's the story:
    So, my parents are divorsed, and at my moms place I've got a PowerMac G4 400MHz Sawtooth which I really like!
    Sometimes it might be a little slow, but I can live with it! :p

When I first started looking at a new Mac I was thinking about the MacBook "middle model" in 2006, but then at christmas I was thinking of getting a TV for my room at dads place, but then I thought: Why not buy an iMac 20" with a TV tuner instead of a MacBook? Then I'd get both a TV and a Mac!

So then I decided to summerwork to get the money, then all the rumors about the new thinner iMac already started.
    I had decided to go with the brand new iMac, which I thought would have been released on WWDC.
    And then in June the new MacBook Pro was released, with one of the best graphiccards and Santa Rosa and everything, I started thinking like: Since my G4 is quite old and arent running iMovie and such programs smooth I thought the MBP would be perfect coz I could just bring it to my mom's place when I needed to do some videos.. I would get a new computer for dads place AND mom's place!

Now it seems like my uncles company is going to change their iMac G5's for the brand new ones, looks like I'll be getting a 1,6GHz 17" to my mom's place for free, nice!
    Maybe then I should return the MBP, get a new iMac 24" 2,4GHz for my dad's place, get the 17" iMac G5 for my mums place and sell my PowerMac G4?

One thing that scares me with my MBP is that it is quite unstable, Front Row is very very unstable, and after putting the MBP in rest, it sometimes take very long time for it to wake up!

Help is very appreciated!

2. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

Which MBP do you have? If it's the 2.4, it 's better then the imac (besides a smaller screen). I'd prefer the MBP. One universal computer I can take anywhere. You're very lucky to have a MBP at 14. I say just be happy with it.

3. ricgnzlzcr macrumors 6502a

ricgnzlzcr

If you're moving around a lot it's nice to have all your files in one place. It looks like you're using multiple computers so that may not be a problem. If I were you I'd stick to the MBP, but if you really want that bigger screen and don't mind losing portability go for the imac.

4. Mr Mercury macrumors newbie

5. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

First, if you give up portability, you will definitely miss it.

Second, I would take a look at finding out what's up with your MBP. We have three Macs at home (no MBPs though) and all are stable and wake easily.

Create a new account and see if you get the same issues with it. And run Disk Utility's verify disk. But "instability" is often related to a RAM problem so you should check that. Or take it into an Apple store. Since you got it in June you are still within the warranty period.

6. Multimedia macrumors 603

Multimedia

Sell The G4 And Buy Two 24" Dells To Drive From The MBP In Each Home

You're better off buying two 2407WFP 24" Dells for each home and hooking the MBP to them when you land each time. That gives you large screen real estate when you are at a home plus ability to run it in school etc. Get Undercover theft protection software for $39 student. Buy Leopard when it ships to get maximum performance.

7. MacRazySwe thread starter macrumors 6502a

It's the 2,2GHz MBP!
    I think I will keep my MBP, I think you're right, I'll miss portability if I change it for an iMac.

8. thegrifman macrumors regular

Save up some more money and buy yourself a nice 20" lcd monitor. I initially wanted an iMac but went with a MBP and then bought the monitor so now I have the MPB plus the screen real estate when I'm at home :)

9. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

Another for staying with the Macbook Pro.

I would say that since you can sell that old G4 go for selling it and get most of the money you would need for a 20" widescreen LCD for your fathers house. There are many good ones for around $200 at newegg.com some as low as $180 with really good customer reviews, you just need one with DVI. A decent keyboard and USB mouse set can be bought for $25. If you still have anything saved from your summer job you can do that if having a larger screen is particularly important to you.

10. v-ault macrumors regular

i have both an iMac and MBP. Besides the portability, the iMac totally trumps it. It has a bigger screen, it's faster, and looks great. Upgrade the ram to 2 gigs for another 30-40 dollars, and the iMac will be a better machine than your MBP.

11. thegrifman macrumors regular

Are the specs similar on the two machines though? If they are the same they should operate at the same pace since an iMac is basically a notebook with a built-in screen for all intents and purposes.

12. Annndy! macrumors regular

Annndy!

What are the specs on that MBP?