"Return" my delivered iPhone 6 at Apple store, then re-purchase with trade-in?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by vaultwit, Sep 19, 2014.

1. vaultwit macrumors regular

Since I pre-ordered my iPhone 6 and chose delivery, I had to pay for it using my credit card. Now that I've received my iPhone 6, can I take it to the Apple store with my old iPhone, then "return" it and immediately purchase it back using the trade-in credit from my old iPhone? Has anyone tried this or heard of this working?

2. aprofetto8 macrumors regular

I'm going to guess it won't work.

I think all returned iPhones are immediately sent back to the mother land, sealed or unsealed.

I would call and ask before you try it.

3. techn9ne macrumors member

You can try it but I believe I've heard from a lot of people that Apple doesn't/isn't accepting returns from online orders. Your best bet is to call/go into the store and see for yourself, but I really don't think it'll work. Best of luck and hopefully I'm wrong.

4. Vertigo50 macrumors 65816

Vertigo50

I have no idea if you can do this or not, but I would just say don't try it today, wait until at least tomorrow. Apple stores are so slammed today that they're probably not going to make any strange exceptions for you.

5. vaultwit thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for your suggestions everyone! I only wanted to do it to gain 30 bucks or so more in my trade-in over websites like gazelle, but it's probably not worth it...

6. doxielover macrumors 6502a

doxielover

See that's odd because that was printed on the online policy last year but I was still able to return my 5s to the store last year. Maybe because it was a Tmo contract free.

7. EJ8 macrumors 6502a

EJ8

$30? Open your phone and enjoy it dood. It's iPhone 6 day. . Have fun with it.

8. vaultwit thread starter macrumors regular

You're right! Will do! :D

9. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

For $30 plus the cost of aspirin, I would not bother. I value money but $30 isn't worth my time nor would I want to waste the time of an Apple employee. Not in that case.

10. vigilant macrumors 6502

vigilant

I don't think so, especially if you did it through a contract with a carrier pricing.

Apple sends all of the phones back once returned. Additionally, depending on the carrier the carrier would then need to "unlock" your carrier discount again if you are using one.

At least thats what I've heard other people say in the past.

11. pdxmatts, Sep 22, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2014