Return my iMac 2011 for an iMac 2012?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Kiroziki, Oct 24, 2012.

1. Kiroziki, Oct 24, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2012

Kiroziki macrumors newbie

Just over 3 week's ago, I purchased a brand new iMac from the Apple Store completely unaware that there was going to be a new version which was announced yesterday. I was wondering would it be possible if I could return the iMac I currently have for the new one? I know I'm past the 14 day period but I just feel rather annoyed that I spent a good amount of money on this only for the one to be announced a few weeks after, plus this iMac will need to be sent back any way due to the fan keeps making a weird rattling noise. I have Apple Customer Services ringing me tomorrow at around 4:15PM to talk to them about it. So would it be possible?

2. Mike Valmike macrumors 6502a

Their official return window is 14 days, so they don't have to accommodate you, but they might anyway. Be friendly but communicate as clearly as you can that you feel like you've had a bad experience (subjective, they can't really deny that) and you might have some luck.

3. Ak907Freerider macrumors 6502

Never hurts to ask. I called and got the price drop money back, iam happy with my 2011 and never been a fan of being a test dummy for new product redesigns also seems to have some bugs. If u are dead set on returning just work with them they are very friendly and even if u return it I'm sure it will be resold to a happy new owner. Remember new ones aren't even out yet u could be out a comp for quite awhile don't know if u have been hearing all the factory drama with apple but wouldn't count on ur new iMac anytime soon especially if u go for the 27 bto model

4. Kiroziki thread starter macrumors newbie

I've decided to just get it fixed/replaced instead of asking for the upgrade because I kinda prefer the look of this iMac than the other one. I'll just wait for the next update and learn from my mistakes. Besides how big a deal is the new iMac in comparison to the one I have now?

5. chinadian1 macrumors newbie

I don't think it's a big deal. Some will argue that it is, some may not. Here's my summary:

The top two pro's of having the latest one:
    1. spec bump in terms of memory and processor
    2. debatably prettier (if you care about looks and you actually think it looks nicer)

The top two con's of having the latest one:
    1. First time Apple does a redesign of the body and internals, you never know what issues or bugs might creep up. They have all new parts and all new assembly process. There could be a bunch of annoying issues that might creep up. Part have also not been tested over longer periods of time so there is the potential for another seagate-gate issue with hard drives breaking down.
    2. You lose the optical drive (if that's important to you)

I am nervous about this new model because of the high probability of bugs, but I will likely get it and the apple extended care to cover any issues that creep up.

However, with the one you have, you probably do not need extended care since all the parts have been reliably tested and used for a couple years now.

And remember, it will be out of date, AGAIN, like next year ...