Return my iMac?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by bc008, Aug 25, 2007.

1. bc008 macrumors 68000

bc008

well, i just got the base end iMac, and i am happy with it but i soon realized what i had lost.

i had an old macbook, and it was all scratched, and had been restored atleast 5 times. my iMac is better than that old macbook, but i soon realized that i had lost all the conveniences of a laptop.

no more using it in bed, no more taking it downstairs, no more taking it on vacations.

I still have 5 days left to return it, so tell me what i should do.
    i upgraded the ram in it to 2 GB myself, but i could just take it out, and i bought apple care with it.

would it be better for me to return it and pay the restocking fee, or sell it on here with applecare and upgraded RAM?

2. mariahlullaby macrumors 6502a

mariahlullaby

Why don't you save up and get an older laptop you could use when you wanted -- maybe an iBook or PowerBook G4?

3. jczubach macrumors 6502

jczubach

check with them, you might find a sympathetic ear, as long as you're willing to exchange for what you want. if not, i really couldn't say either way...

4. bc008 thread starter macrumors 68000

bc008

5. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

I suggust an iBook. Older version of the MB. G4's run for about $500, G3's for even less.

6. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

I agree with the others, keep the desktop. There are things you're missing that you could do with a laptop now you've got a desktop, but once you've lived with the desktop for a while, and really explored all the things you could do with it over a portable, you'll soon miss the functionality of the iMac once you switch back to a laptop. I would know, I went from a desktop PC as my main and only machine to a Mac laptop as my main and only machine (which I use on the net etc...).

Either wait a bit and get a MacBook as well as the iMac when you've got the cash, or get an older iBook/PowerBook. The older laptops are very very functional still, and while they don't offer absolutely bags of processing power, you've got the iMac as a workhorse and therefore don't really need much in a portable.

7. bc008 thread starter macrumors 68000

bc008

well my bro just upgraded so im actually going to get his old one (freaky, and lucky)

its actually really nice, a dell inspiron E1505 running vista. he only used it for half of last year, and i technically used it more than he did.

well i guess i got really lucky

8. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

Good for you mate.