Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AMSOS

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 21, 2010
I got a new iPhone 7 from a deal at Cricket today. As I had feared it turned out to be the A1660 model i.e. some handsets will show "No Service" due to problems with getting network signals.

Do I just return it straightaway, or does it make sense to use it? Is there any way of telling if this particular unit may have those issues?

Thanks!

b_fitnik

macrumors newbie
Feb 25, 2019
I had the 1660 and not trying to talk you into returning it but I didn’t have the “no service” issue until after a full year of owning the device. Apple still repaired the device but it came with a new serial/imei which kind of made it a pain to trade in the device. It kept showing the device as a white 32gb and mine was a black 128gb. I would contact Cricket/Apple and see what they would do for you or if they would take care of you in case it happened to you down the road.

AMSOS

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 21, 2010
I had the 1660 and not trying to talk you into returning it but I didn’t have the “no service” issue until after a full year of owning the device. Apple still repaired the device but it came with a new serial/imei which kind of made it a pain to trade in the device. It kept showing the device as a white 32gb and mine was a black 128gb. I would contact Cricket/Apple and see what they would do for you or if they would take care of you in case it happened to you down the road.
Thanks for sharing your experience. I think I am going to return this one. I plan to keep it for the long run and something tells me that as with my MacBook Pro I'll be left stranded once the warranty runs out.
I am trying to get the iPhone 8 but only Boost and Virgin seem to have a deal for $499. Which is fine, except they unlock not before 12 months. What a bummer...

Minorite

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2018
Poland
Well, fixing baseband issues is not that expensive in third-party repair shops so you can get it if you have a full price. Also, not 100% of A1660 are affected, so you may be lucky.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.