Return my MacBook Pro for new 2.4 MacBook

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by aahhple, Mar 1, 2008.

  1. aahhple macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Feb 26, 2008
    #1
    So I have never thought to do this until apple released its Update Tuesday for the MacBook.

    Seems like the midrange 2.4 ghz MacBook is now faster then my base model 2.2 ghz MacBook Pro I bought 1 week ago. I have found myself debating if i want to exchange it or not.

    I am a freelance graphic designer and besides some occasional cs3 I have found myself only using my MacBook Pro to surf the web, email, and listen to music. I am also a full time student and I feel like the MacBook would best fit my needs with its portability.

    The screen on the MacBook is obviously not cut out for graphic design but I would eventually get an external display if the time comes where I do graphic design full time.

    I love my MacBook Pro it just seems like I can save some money (get an iphone!) and purchase the new updated MacBook.

    I would also be upgrading the hard drive on the MacBook to 250gb and upgrading the ram to 4gb.

    What do you think?

    2.2 ghz 'Santa Rosa' 15inch MBP 120gb HD

    or

    2.4 ghz Macbook 250gb HD and iPhone
     
  2. MacFanBoyIIe macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Feb 22, 2008
    #2
    Sounds like the MacBook would better serve your needs for less price and be more portable. Bottom line, do what works for YOU. I know someone who uses a 1.8GHz 2GB RAM MacMini to run his home office, podcasts, video editing, and file serving. Do what works for you.
     
  3. MightyBrutus macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Feb 15, 2008
    #3
    I say go for it if you're sure the smaller screen is okay for you.
     
  4. peterx macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Mar 1, 2008
    #4
    Keep in mind that the Macbook graphics chip sucks wind. It's simply horrible compared to the MBP. But if you don't care about that (3d, pro apps etc. ) then that shouldn't be an issue. :p If I were you, and you've already plonked down the cash on the MBP, keep it. To drop to the MB, you pay a 10% restock charge on your MBP purchase also. :eek: BTW, I'm typing this on my 2.4ghz 4gb ram, 160gb HD, x3100 dog pooh graphics chip Macbook.

    regards.
     
  5. brop52 macrumors 68000

    brop52

    Joined:
    Feb 26, 2007
    Location:
    Michigan
    #5
    I just have a general question on apple's return policy. I'm not returning anything, but if you don't open the box do they charge a restocking fee? I know of many companies that will waive the fee if the box is unopened.
     
  6. gregdrummeraz macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jun 7, 2007
    Location:
    Glendale, az
    #6
    I feel the same way!

    I bought a macbook 2.2Ghz on the 17th and the updates happened so... could I take it in there and exchange?

    I heard yes from them but then they want MORE money. should I just throw a fit and complain and apple will fall for it?

    whats some advice?:confused:
     
  7. aahhple thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Feb 26, 2008
    #7
    I have decided to stay with my macbook pro. I did not realize how much of a difference the 2 inches of screen size and the matte on the screen make (went into the apple store tonight).

    Figured a MBP is a computer I will be more than happy with continuing to use a long while from now.

    Thanks for the advice!:)
     
  8. MacFanBoyIIe macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Feb 22, 2008
    #8
    No prob. Glad to hear you went with what works for you!
     
  9. sculptor macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Feb 23, 2008
    #9
    What I would suggest is you exchange it for the new model of Macbook Pro. 2.4GHz cpu with SSE4, 200 GB Hard drive, 256Mb Ram for the video, and the new touchpad functions, it's well worth it, even if you have to pay a restocking fee. you then would not have to upgrade the Hard Drive for a while. Good luck!


    BTW, I would wait until the next iPhone revision, especially if the rumors about 3G functionality are true.


    .......Curtis
     

Share This Page