Return my Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by iphong, Jun 8, 2009.

1. iphong macrumors member

iphong

I just bought a Refurbished 15" MacBook Pro 6 days ago for $1899 (2.53,4Gb,320,9600GT 512). And today, at the WWDC Apple announced a new line of MacBook pro with much lower price tags. My favorite one is the 2.8, 500Gb with 512 Mb and 7 hours battery, priced at $2299. I could get this in store with student discount for $2099, and what I paid for the refurbished one is 1899 + 100 tax = 1999. That is only $100 less that a much better specs, brand new Macbook Pro. I was so stupid not to wait another week so I can get a better deal.

My Macbook Pro hasn't been registered (I skipped the registration process), the battery was only charged once, as it still has only 3 cycles on it.

My question is, if I return, do they charge me 10% restocking fee? And if they do, is paying another $300 worth the new Macbook Pro (the top of the line 15") replacing for my current one?

:confused:

2. AppleThis&That macrumors regular

AppleThis&That

I think you should keep it if they will charge you the restocking fee. Your Mac Pro should be just fine the way it is. :D

If they don't charge you, then go ahead and return for the newer if that makes you happy. It's up to you though.

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Yes, because it's open. You can only return it for "free" if the box is unopened.

4. iphong thread starter macrumors member

iphong

I thought the unopened box policy only applies to new products, where its actual box is shipped within another box. On the other hand, refurb macs are shipped in its original packaging, without any protection. If one decides to return it even if it's not openned, apple still need to replace the box anyway (its a crappy box btw). I will call customer service tomorrow and ask for a RMA. I just want to know if someone has some experience returning refurb products can show me some tricks on how to get those apple waive the restocking fee.

5. iphong thread starter macrumors member

iphong

Good news!!!! ;):cool::D

I called Apple today and told them my situation. They said I can return it and also waived the 10% restocking fee! My money will be credited back in full.

Now I'm waiting for them to to send me the shipping label and I will send it right away.

Can't wait to get the new MBP.

If somebody is on the same boat as me, it doesn't cost anything just to give Apple a call.

Now i'm happy!! Apple rocks.

6. Prabz26 macrumors regular

Prabz26

Apple is actually so understanding and helpful on the phone in my two experiences :D. They are my fav company to call if I have to call one. It just takes forever for them to pick up lol :(
    Glad to hear that :D

7. iphong thread starter macrumors member

iphong

First call took 10 seconds then I got disconnected, the next call took less then 3 mins. It's nothing compare to Cable provider and Banks. Sometime took hours.

8. Ricanlegend macrumors 6502a

Thats good to hear, maybe next time around you will after wwdc to find out about any new updates :rolleyes: