Return my MBA for upcoming 13" rMBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by AoS, Oct 16, 2012.

  1. AoS macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Oct 16, 2012
    #1
    Hey everyone, just bought my MBA last week at the Apple store and still have 7 days to return it. Do you guys think it would be more advantageous to return it and wait for the 13" rMBP or hold on to it and then re-sell it when the 2nd or 3rd generation rMBP's have been released with all the kinks fixed?
     
  2. ssn637 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Feb 12, 2009
    Location:
    Switzerland
    #2
    If you can return it after the announcement has been made on the 23rd then you'll be able to decide based on fact rather than rumor.

    Should the 13" rMBP be launched with integrated graphics than the only advantage it will have over the current MBA is the IPS retina display. In that case I would stick with what you have and wait for another 13" rMBP refresh next year.
     
  3. Gruber macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jun 15, 2009
    #3
    I like the high resolution display on the 15in, but am annoyed by the speed issues. I like the new 13in MBA very much and will wait for the switch to retina until Apple has either access to a faster GPU or implements true resolution independence.

    Thus, I would recommend waiting, but your preferences might vary. For me, a snappy UI and low weight beat the display quality at this time.
     
  4. seong macrumors 65816

    seong

    Joined:
    Feb 11, 2010
    #4
    If you bought the MBP 13", I would say return it, but since it's MBA 13" we are talking about, my answer would be NO.
    You have one of the thinnest 13" laptop available, with SSD, and a screen that has higher resolution than the 13" MBP (although it's not IPS.) That's basically a rMBP 13" without a good screen, so I would stick with the MBA for the next revision of rMBP lineup.

    Who knows what? We may as well see the rumored black aluminum! (sorry, forgot the name for some weird reason.)
     
  5. Mrbobb macrumors 601

    Joined:
    Aug 27, 2012
    #5
    That's it.

    If u are the type of person who notice every little nick and scratches, any little imperfection, then by mother of god, skip anything version 1.0.

    If they had a 13" rMBP a few months ago I would had taken a hard look at it too, alas, they didn't so I got me an AIR instead. Am getting real comfy with the thinness and the lightweight, it carries like tablet, so I luv it. Another thing i love about the Air, since everything is solid state, no vibration, and day-in, day-out, it runs practically silent. No regret.

    If display REALLY important to you, make the switch.
     
  6. MacSignal macrumors regular

    Joined:
    May 8, 2010
    #6
    A lot depends on your priorities, how much money you spent on the MBA, and your tolerance for the adventures of being an early adopter.

    rMBP 13 will have a slam-dunk superior display quality and possibly better resale than a similarly priced (presumably loaded) MBA.

    If you are sitting on a very upgraded MBA now and best possible display quality means more to you than portability, rMBP 13 is something to consider.

    Otherwise, I think you might be further ahead with the MBA.
     
  7. Lukewarmwinner macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Oct 12, 2012
    #7
    As other have mentioned it depends on your configuration. I was about to order the high end Air, and knowing I could (possibly) get the rMBP for the same price held me off. But your machine is still lighter than the rMBP
     
  8. halledise macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    May 7, 2009
    Location:
    Hamilton Island, Whitsundays, QLD Australia
    #8
    I'd concur with Lukewarmwinner - the rMBP will come at a premium over the current MBPro and so I'm guessing around the same $ as a fully specced up MBA.
    only difference would be the retina display and shape/weight.

    most seem think it will have integrated graphics only.

    that said, one's a 'consumer' Mac and the other a 'Pro' aimed at professionals so that has to be a factor.

    the CPU in the MBP will have more oomph and the memory seems to be different from the Air also, though whether Low voltage memory is any slower than regular 1600 mhz memory, I wouldn't know.

    by going for a new release Mac, that would in itself be an advantage going forward.

    my $2 worth
     
  9. Lukewarmwinner macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Oct 12, 2012
    #9
    Exactly. They'll properly price it at 1499
     
  10. chrisrosemusic1 macrumors 6502a

    chrisrosemusic1

    Joined:
    Jan 31, 2012
    Location:
    Northamptonshire, England
    #10
    I have the luxury of replacing my Mac in November. I too was desperate for a 13" rMBP but the lack of dedicated GPU (if the rumours are true) is a deal breaker for me. All that resolution will sap the **** out of the HD4000 and the performance will suffer. And the Air already has a decent enough resolution, will still be lighter and thinner.

    I'm thinking of going with the Air anyway (unless the retina does have an independent GPU).

    If I were you, I would just keep it. Gauge how the rMBP sells and gets support (most apps still don't support the 15" resolution) and may be buy one in a gen or two.
     
  11. halledise macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    May 7, 2009
    Location:
    Hamilton Island, Whitsundays, QLD Australia
    #11
    I'd plump for more like US$1699 and for AUS$1799 - dunno why cos our buck is worth more than yours ;)
     
  12. JeffiJers macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Sep 12, 2012
    Location:
    U.S.
    #12
    Just purchased an air, I could too return it for the rMBP but i like that the MBA is sound... Ill use this for a year or so and sell it when the next gen retina comes out with haswell.

    In the past apple has been known for great solid quality, not saying the rmbp15 isnt good but there are a lot of complaints about the screen etc. Worth waiting till they get it right and use something that currently is a great machine

    Was going to upgrade the SSD in this but because of the retina release ill make due with what i have for now and store anything big on a external.
     
  13. AoS thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Oct 16, 2012
    #13
    Yeah, thanks everyone. Think I'll keep my air and see where Haswell takes the rMBP in 2013, then possibly sell it.
     
  14. Mreddielu macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Mar 17, 2012
    #14
    What if they lower the price of the Air next week?
     
  15. shadowjeff macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Aug 3, 2010
    #15
    I would say return it now if possible, and see how the rMBP 13 goes next week. You can try the new rmbp at the store and if you don't like it, just buy the macbook air again.

    If the rMBP 13 gets thinner just like the rMBP 15 the weight would be closer to the MBA, and if it were me, i would sacrifice a small amount of weight for a better resolution screen.
     
  16. mobidutch macrumors member

    Joined:
    Sep 23, 2012
    Location:
    Texas
    #16
    +1. Same boat, same plan. I mostly work off my 27" TB display anyway, so this way the non-retina TB display won't annoy me :).
     
  17. Wokis macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jul 3, 2012
    Location:
    Stockholm, Sweden
    #17
    Lets hope that they've been good enough to get in an ivy bridge quad core in the rMBP!
     
  18. Lukewarmwinner macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Oct 12, 2012
    #18
    Apple rarely lower their prices. Really can't remember the last time they did actually :)

    Not that it wouldn't be a nice thing though!
     
  19. Mrbobb macrumors 601

    Joined:
    Aug 27, 2012
    #19
    Apple already did, compared to last year.

    Not gonna happen again any time soon until the Ultrabooks get cheaper themselves.
     
  20. Lukewarmwinner macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Oct 12, 2012
    #20
    They did?
     
  21. seong macrumors 65816

    seong

    Joined:
    Feb 11, 2010
    #21
    yes, for the 11 inch model and 13" model, by 100 dollars or something close to that.
     
  22. wolfpuppies3 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jun 26, 2012
    Location:
    Virginia, USA
    #22
    Unsure, as we all are, of the pricing of the 13" MBR but when I decided between a 15" MBR and a 13" MBA in July of this year, the loaded version MBR was $1900 more than the loaded 13: MBA. That's a lot of coin.
     
  23. KylePowers macrumors 68000

    KylePowers

    Joined:
    Mar 5, 2011
    #23
    That's like complaining a BMW 5 series is more expensive than a 3 series :confused:

    Assuming by loaded, you mean fully spec'd out, then the 13in MBA = $2199, the 15in rMBP = $3794, so a difference of ~$1600. If you only match the rMBP to the loaded MBA (8GB of RAM, 512GB SSD), then the price difference is $3094 - $2199 = ~$900.

    Now is the extra $900 worth a retina display, larger display, quad-core processor, Nvidia GT 650M w/ 1GB memory, HDMI port, and dual Thunderbolt ports? Probably (but imaginably somewhat overpriced).

    The point - 13in MBA and 15in rMBP aren't exactly comparable. Let's just hope the 13in rMBP differentiates itself enough from the 13in MBA, so that it does justify the price difference. And honestly, I think all it needs is a discrete GPU to do that (but rumors say unlikely). Sigh.
     

Share This Page