Return new 2011 15" MBP, Wait til next year?

ramo

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 8, 2006
Call it buyers remorse or what have you, I am considering return my CTO 15" Macbook Pro 2.0ghz with SSD and High Res. I like the machine alot, but my old 2.0ghz core duo 2006 macbook pro just feels like its still a worthy machine. I am feeling like I maybe should wait til 2012 refresh and maybe a new body refresh. The money in the mean time could be put toward an SSD in my old macbook pro. Also, I know my old machine wont be supported by Lion, but I can wait til next year to upgrade the OS and computer at the same time. Feedback is much appreciated.

DarwinOSX

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2009
I would say it depends on your disposable income. If thats not an issue stick with the new one. If it is then stick an SSD in your old machine. Of course it is no longer under warranty right?
I would not expect too much of a body refresh in terms of size. Those quad core cpus and the new gpus generate alot of heat and the laws of physics aren't going to change anytime soon.
Is the high res screen and ssd considered custom or build to order? Not sure if they will do refunds on those.

Whitelightning

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2007
Could also sell the 2006 Macbook. I'd keep the 2011 one if you can resist the urge to upgrade to whatever comes 2012. New stuff will come out every year, so... even if the new redesign comes out 2012... significant spec bumped improvement may come 2013... so it may be good to keep it now so that when everyone jumps for the new redesign if there is one in 2012... you will be ahead of the game.

2contagious

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2008
UK
Could also sell the 2006 Macbook. I'd keep the 2011 one if you can resist the urge to upgrade to whatever comes 2012. New stuff will come out every year, so... even if the new redesign comes out 2012... significant spec bumped improvement may come 2013... so it may be good to keep it now so that when everyone jumps for the new redesign if there is one in 2012... you will be ahead of the game.
I'd sell the 2006 MBP, it's a bit slow.. then I'd keep the money, stick with the 2011 MBP and sell it next year and use all of the money to buy the 2012 MBP ;)

Buck987

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2010
return it..get the refund wait it out...you will soon know whether you should buy this model again

ramo

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 8, 2006
Keeping the 2011 and selling next year for 2012 model doesnt make any sense for me hence the reason i still have a 5 year old machine.

My options are:

Keep new laptop and sell old one: cost 1400-1500

or

Return old one and buy ssd and new battery: cost 300

MUBiomed

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2010
I'd sell the 2006 MBP, it's a bit slow.. then I'd keep the money, stick with the 2011 MBP and sell it next year and use all of the money to buy the 2012 MBP ;)
+1

IDK how disposable your income is but I am a believer in the "1 year rule." I never keep ANY Apple product longer than that since I cant deal with the diminished resale value. If you sell everything before 1 year and/or before a refresh then you will regain nearly all your investment and, for no more than a couple hundred dollar difference, stay on the cutting edge of Apple tech. At least that has been my experience so far :)

Whitelightning

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2007
That is a good point, though it feels weird how your basically "renting" a macbook pro for a year. I wonder if you can really sell a used one that high though, I'd imagine you'd be down at least 600... which would already be getting close to a Dell or HP laptop.

slumpey326

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2010
Florida
Call it buyers remorse or what have you, I am considering return my CTO 15" Macbook Pro 2.0ghz with SSD and High Res. I like the machine alot, but my old 2.0ghz core duo 2006 macbook pro just feels like its still a worthy machine. I am feeling like I maybe should wait til 2012 refresh and maybe a new body refresh. The money in the mean time could be put toward an SSD in my old macbook pro. Also, I know my old machine wont be supported by Lion, but I can wait til next year to upgrade the OS and computer at the same time. Feedback is much appreciated.
can you even return a CTO to an apple store?

hawse771

macrumors member
Dec 25, 2010
Ft. Worth
Keep the new one and sell the old one, the 2011 is wayyy better than the 2006?!?! It's not like you made the mistake of upgrading to a 2011 from a 2010. You are purely speculating about what htey will actually do in 2012 anyways, they could easily just improve the screen on the 13" and offer better internals, why does everyone seem to KNOW that they will dramatically change styling? Plus then what are you going to do when they make upgrades in 2013...sell your 2012? Computers are going to get better every year, just enjoy your new machine for a little while it sounds fantastic IMO

padmasana

macrumors member
Jul 10, 2006
I struggled with getting a CTO 2011 model as well (it might ship tonight from China).
My 2006 MBP is running fine and can accomplish most of the things I need a computer to do. But the Canon 7D I got last year puts out big files that bog down the 2006 MBP in Photoshop and Aperture and that was ultimately what made me decide to upgrade.
I'll keep the 2006 as a backup.
Good luck with your decision. You probably deserve a new computer just for having staved off 5 years of previous updates.

ladylogic

macrumors newbie
Jan 3, 2008
I'm fairly certain you can't return BTO laptops....I remember reading that somewhere when ordering my laptop, but maybe that was a Canadian thing??

paleriderc2d

macrumors member
Mar 3, 2011
Unless Apple goes out of business or quits making notebooks, every MBP will eventually be eclipsed by a newer sibling. Banking on the 2012 MBP to be the end all be all of MBP's is just asking to be disappointed. It may be completely overhauled or it would be just a bump up on the specs. We can speculate all day but at the end of the day, wishful speculation does not lead to realistic production.

Short of the 2012 MBP's being 8 core Xeon powered demons with a small nuclear reactor to replace the battery, I seriously doubt the 2011 MBP's will slide into obsolescence. If you like it, keep it. If not, return it.

slumpey326

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2010
Florida
Unless Apple goes out of business or quits making notebooks, every MBP will eventually be eclipsed by a newer sibling. Banking on the 2012 MBP to be the end all be all of MBP's is just asking to be disappointed. It may be completely overhauled or it would be just a bump up on the specs. We can speculate all day but at the end of the day, wishful speculation does not lead to realistic production.

Short of the 2012 MBP's being 8 core Xeon powered demons with a small nuclear reactor to replace the battery, I seriously doubt the 2011 MBP's will slide into obsolescence. If you like it, keep it. If not, return it.

I thought you couldnt return a CTO macbook pro to an apply store, am I wrong here. Maybe you can if you are within the 14 day return period. can anyone confirm this?

Miss Terri

macrumors 6502
Nov 11, 2010
US East Coast
Unless Apple goes out of business or quits making notebooks, every MBP will eventually be eclipsed by a newer sibling. Banking on the 2012 MBP to be the end all be all of MBP's is just asking to be disappointed....
...Short of the 2012 MBP's being 8 core Xeon powered demons with a small nuclear reactor to replace the battery, I seriously doubt the 2011 MBP's will slide into obsolescence. If you like it, keep it. If not, return it.
Well said and I agree.

Another way of looking at the same thing is that new computers will always be available for the buying, and will typically be as good or better than current offerings. So if you are unsure about your new 2011, and your older computer is still working for you, maybe there is no harm in keeping your old one for now, and then buying a new one later, when you feel more sure about it.

So, not waiting because you are "holding out for better," but waiting because "Hey, I can always buy new, what I have is working for now, and I will wait until buying a new computer is a more positive overall feeling for me."

Just another perspective.

Miss Terri

ramo

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 8, 2006
Very good perspective Miss Terri. Thats kind of the way I feel, I can probably use my old computer until it breaks, then maybe its time to buy a new one. Im thinking about returning it and buying an iPad 2...

aoaaron

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2010
i'd buy a MBP when you WANT to buy one. i.e. you absolutley dig it for specific reasons.

me personally, i dont have a laptop so the new MBP with the ridiculous speed increase and GPU increase is an obv choice for me about now (altho i do love my PC desktop atm).

seems to me like you can still get a few years out of your macbook so i'd just wait it out.

my family has old as hell laptops and they're doing just fine. its really a waste of money when ppl get caught up in this wanting to own the latest ****.

TomCondon

macrumors regular
Nov 26, 2010
I LOVE how you assume that the 2012 macbook is going to get a redesign... get a computer when YOU need it..... I'm not sure exactly why people orgasm over having the latest, upgrading a 5 year old machine to make it survive another year so you can get the next year version is frankly ridiculous

HBOC

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2008
SLC
Well here is another perspective to look at, and it is a real life scenario.

You have a 5 year old laptop that WORKS PERFECTLY NOW. Let's say you decide to keep it, and return the one you just ordered. So say 4-5 months down the road, the logicboard or screen goes out. I am assuming you have no warranty on this machine, aside from maybe renters'/home owners. So then you will have a machine that is good basically for parts...

I would say sell the old one and get money out of it while it is working. Chances are it will probably be fine, but my early 08' I had for 2 1/2 years was replaced by Apple last thursday due to many repairs.

Again, this is just another scenario that I hadn't seen posted.

kappaknight

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2009
Atlanta, GA
Regarding returning BTO laptops to the Apple Store, the genius at my local store they just started being able to return those in store. I'd call your local store and see if it's possible to return the laptop in person rather than ship it back.

xdbuix

macrumors 6502
Oct 8, 2008
Virginia
i think you should keep in mind that Apple kept the form factor of the previous generation for about 7 years, its been only 3 years. There's no guarantee that 2012 brings a radical new design, and the thing about Apple is theyre always updating.