return new rMBP for Adorama deal?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by benvh, Aug 1, 2014.

1. benvh macrumors newbie

I got a new 15" rMBP yesterday from BB. Very happy with it, got it all set up, bla bla. Failed to notice I could have gotten the same machine from Adorama with free AppleCare. Is it worth returning the machine to BB and then ordering the same one from Adorama? Obviously $244 is a pretty big savings. Not sure if I would get it when my year is up, but it's probably a good idea. I did buy it with my Visa Platinum which gets me a 2nd year of warranty coverage.

I guess to be safe I'd have to wipe the HD and reinstall the OS? Would that do the trick? I don't want to leave any data, Apple ID, Cloud, iMessage info on the HD...don't trust the cats at BB to do it for me.

If I already registered the machine to my Apple ID, does that become a problem?

Thanks,

Ben

2. mad3inch1na macrumors 6502a

If you can get a better deal at no loss to you, I don't see any reason not to.

Matt

3. jmoore5196 macrumors 6502a

jmoore5196

There's certainly a loss to you with respect to time required to wipe the machine, make the return and then wait on the Adorama shipment. You're certainly correct about not depending on BB to wipe your data ... a problem not unique to BB. I once returned an iMac to Fry's because of the yellow screen tint and watched a manager slap a label on the box and send it out onto the sales floor without ever turning it on.

That said, Adorama is one of my favorite places and I'm sure they'll provide terrific service. I ordered my MBA from them and have bought cameras, HDs, etc from their Manhattan store.

If you have second-year coverage from your credit card, however, I'd be inclined to keep the machine you have. The time required to wipe and return isn't insignificant ... especially when you're dealing with BB. If you do the return, however, be sure to unlink your iTunes account and disable any software licenses which allow limited activation. I know you probably have thought of this, but many people don't and it causes no end of problems down the road.

4. benvh thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the input, everyone. I ended up wiping the HD (after logging out of everything and reauthorizing iTunes) and returned it to BB…took about 2 minutes total for the return. Happy with the decision. Will rest easy having AppleCare for the next 3 years.

Ben