Return of the 17" MBP ?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by whitedragon101, Oct 15, 2012.

1. whitedragon101 macrumors 6502a

When the 15" rMBP was introduced Apple quietly axed the 17" MBP many said due to poor sales. However, it did still make a profit of a few million. I think the reason for its disappearance was not wholly due to its low sales.

To produce a 15" MBP and a 15"rMBP they needed 2 production lines for the 15" instead of 1. Now they are introducing a 13" rMBP alongside the 13"MBP. Thats 4 production lines. Perhaps the low sales of the 17" meant they axed it as 5 production lines was beyond the pale.

By the next re-design (2015) it may be time for the standard MBP to go and the rMBP to take its place. This will mean only 2 production lines again instead of 4. Perhaps the 17" may return then to fanfares as if its been discovered all over again.

2. JesusChrist macrumors newbie

3. procrastinasn macrumors regular

One does not simply forget airs!

4. whitedragon101 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Forget airs?

5. karsten macrumors 6502a

karsten

interesting thinking. could have some element of truth to it. could you imagine a 17" retina? omg. maybe they had to get the process figured out first before taking on a larger screen. then after that the retina iMac, then the ATD.

6. whitedragon101 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thats what I'm hoping too :)

7. procrastinasn macrumors regular

mba?

8. vpro macrumors 65816

vpro

My sweet seventeen!

I thought they were coming out with a 15 inch air with retina, as the start of the retina display revolution for AIRS. Which would have made a little more sense than what this BS they pulled, I was so excited because if that were the case; they would definitely refresh and bring out a new 17" MBP. NOPE! They disgusted the lot of us, but we are still strong and productive with our true MBP's the sweet seventeen.