Return of the iBook

Contact_Feanor

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 7, 2017
Belgium
At the last event apple didn’t upgrade the MacBook, once again leading to a weird line-up of not very differentiated laptops with weird pricing points. This would easily be solved by the rumoured release of upcoming ARM-based macs. The logical place to start is either the low-end MacBook or the high-end Mac Pro. However, what to call this new A-series MacBook? The MacBook famously replaced the iBook upon migrating to intel. Moving away from intel chips warrants a name change as well, and apple happens to have conveniently changed the name of their book-store and reader from iBooks to just Books. Right in time for the launch of... a new iBook? Thoughts?

infernoguy

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2011
Nashville, TN
Maybe. I’ve pondered this in my head many times. I figure Apple could either keep the MacBook with periodic intel processor updates and maybe a design tweak or use the MacBook name for the new ARM laptop with a 12 and 13 inch version ($899 and $1099 respectively). They may even change the name to the iBook.

I have a feeling that i’m typing this reply on the mythical ARM laptop right now (the 2018 iPad Pro 11). The MacBook will fade away after inventory is depleted and the Air will be the student/budget intel laptop (the Non TouchBar Mac will go the way of the MacBook).

BODYBUILDERPAUL

macrumors 68000
Feb 9, 2009
Barcelona
The days of a cheaper MacBook are long gone - Apple will argue that there's iPad Pro for that. With iPhones costing up to £1550, a £900 Mac will never happen. The most basic, entry level new design of iPhone (the XR) is £750 and having used one, it's not anywhere as nice as the X and XS - I'm not keen on the thin aluminium, the LCD display, the larger size - it feels cheap after owning the X with its stainless steel.
Being honest, I get the impression that the first ARM MacBook will be super expensive. I don't see this amazing new technology that will replace Intel as being 'entry level'. Apple will market it as cutting edge, a first. I would not be surprised if an ARM MacBook came in at £2000. Just like the 12" Apple will have spent a fortune on R&D - it'll be the future of Mac. It's not going to be cheap!

enc0re

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2010
The name iBook suggests a device running iOS; in the vein of an iPhone or iPad. If Apple finally makes a clamshell iOS device, iBook would be the perfect name.

Something running macOS will get a name in line with the Macs. It’s a small wonder that the iMac is still called that, but that’s a long running brand and has Mac in the name.

infernoguy

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2011
Nashville, TN
The name iBook suggests a device running iOS; in the vein of an iPhone or iPad. If Apple finally makes a clamshell iOS device, iBook would be the perfect name.

Something running macOS will get a name in line with the Macs. It’s a small wonder that the iMac is still called that, but that’s a long running brand and has Mac in the name.
So you think the iBook will be an iPad with a keyboard/trackpad attached running iOS 13/14 mixed in with desktop features?

enc0re

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2010
So you think the iBook will be an iPad with a keyboard/trackpad attached running iOS 13/14 mixed in with desktop features?
I think Apple will definitely make a clamshell device with an in-house ARM processor. The big question is whether it will run iOS or macOS.

brdeveloper

macrumors 68020
Apr 21, 2010
Brasil
Since latest iPads have enough power to compete with Macs, it would be interesting to see an iOS device that could be an artist's laptop, with more processing power than iPad Pro and suitable for audio and video projects, 3D rendering, etc. Its price could start from the most powerful iPad Pro. Since a lot of young people is more familiar with iOS than with macOS, it would be a trend that future professionals would prefer dealing with the iOS ecosystem than macOS.