Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

murak

macrumors newbie
Jul 4, 2003
Gotland, Sweden
First, greate work okatu!

Then, sure a headless low priced mac would be greate, but as you guys say it would eat eMac/iMac sales. I hope the "new cube" will be like the first one, almost as fast as a Powermac but with crippled expandability. My gues/hope ('couse I think it so fun)

1.6/1.8/2 ghz single G5 cpu (it will fit, ok?)
up to 2 gb DDR ram
80/120 gb sata drives
One agp slot
combo/superdrive slot loading
BT and APE optional but ready

1299/1499/1699 usd

Or maby Ill wait for the iBox/iBump... 'Couse a headles mac I want.
http://www.2khappyware.com

NNO-Stephen

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2003
Tulsa, Oklahoma
no way in HELL that they are gonna make a 500 dollar Mac. if you think so because the need is there, you are retarded. Apple has NEVER done this and continues to keep their current chunk of marketshare... you think they dont know that budget PC's sell? they dont give a ****! if they did, don't you think they'd have done something about it by now?

you're right... they probably will make a 20th aniversary Macintosh and it ain't gonna be cheap.

plinkoman

macrumors 65816
Jul 2, 2003
New York
for those of you who wont shut up about a low end system, i will repost what was in the first post of this thread, which specifically says a 20th anniversary edition mac. and call me crazy, but i don't think a rumor about a 20th anniversary mac has anything to do with a new system, at low end that they plan to add to their product line.

At least one uncertain rumor from May also claimed the return of the Cube... in the form of a limited edition model celebrating the upcoming 20th anniversary of the Macintosh which was introduced in 1984.

Originally posted by plinkoman
:rolleyes: i grow tired of having to say this every 5 minutes, those 9 fans are distributed between 4 different cooling zones, there are only 2 of them per cpu, 1 on each side, and they move a little slower, so the heatsink needed to be larger. thats all, it doesn't mean that the G5 is hot as hell which everyone seems to be preaching with no proof, its just designed to be quiet.
/B]

That's right. I forgot a cube wouldn't need a hard drive, graphics card or RAM. 1 fan would be fine. Hell, no fans would suffice. What was I thinking?

plinkoman

macrumors 65816
Jul 2, 2003
New York
Originally posted by jayscheuerle
That's right. I forgot a cube wouldn't need a hard drive, graphics card or RAM. 1 fan would be fine. Hell, no fans would suffice. What was I thinking?

did the last cube have those things? did the last cube have any fans? what was the point of you saying any of that? :rolleyes:

Kanada

macrumors newbie
Jul 9, 2003
brooklyn
I am writing this on a 450 mhz G4 cube. This is by far my favorite computer ever it takes up very little room and runs practicly silent. I have no doubt this will one day be a collectors item. I will never, ever sell this one but I do need to get another much faster machine soon. I am just waiting to see what happens when the g5 is added to other models. Although the dual configuration may be to much to resist I still want to wait and see. Here is my dream

1.8 ghz G5 cube
digital audio in/out, Superdrive
fw 400/800, usb 2.0, bluethooth,
ATI 9600
$1599

2.2 ghz G5 cube
fw 400/800, usb 2.0, bluethooth
ATI 9600, ATI 9800 Pro BTO
$1999

1.8 ghz G5 imac
19" flat screen
digital audio on/out, Superdrive
ATI 9600, ATI 9800 pro BTO
$2299

2.4 ghz G5 cube
$2399

2.2 ghz G5 imac
19" flat screen
digital audio on/out, Superdrive
ATI 9600, ATI 9800 pro BTO
$2299

dual 2.2 ghz g5 pm
$2599

dual 2.4 ghz g5 pm
$2999

dual 2.6 ghz g5 pm
ATI 9800 Pro
$3499

This will offer comsumers like me a vialble alternative to the faster P4's being offered by the PC vendors and Pro user's can always use more speed. The faster g5 Cube would be an excellent gaming machine. I wouldn't mind a bit if they had to put a few fans inside, I hope they can do it quietly. As for expandebility, there are many optins available whith fw 400/800 and usd 2.0

NNO-Stephen

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2003
Tulsa, Oklahoma
I always wanted a G4 Cube but never could afford it... then they were gone... I could get the cash for a G5 cube any time next year and would be elated if they announced one for the 20th aniversary of the Macintosh.

Mord

macrumors G4
Aug 24, 2003
UK
mhz for mhz it is not hotter are you blind
read my previous post on page 4 read and learn from a 15 year old boy's post read and learn.

Originally posted by Hector
mhz for mhz it is not hotter are you blind
read my previous post on page 4 read and learn from a 15 year old boy's post read and learn.

Sorry, I wasn't aware there was a 1.4 Ghz G5. :rolleyes:

Something about Steve saying that the G5 was way too hot to put in a laptop right now made me think that they are hotter than G4s. Are there any G4 laptops out there yet?

Bottom line regardless of heat- No G5 Cube, no matter how much you want one. It would be an awful business decision.

bcsimac

macrumors 6502
Nov 4, 2002
Bolivar, TN
I still wish I could afford to buy even a refurbish G4 Cube, but alas I am too poor. I loved them when they were out and would love them if they came out again.

kiwi_the_iwik

macrumors 65816
Oct 30, 2001
London, UK
My little Cube is still the envy of all my friends - both PC AND Mac users alike - and even those Mac users who have just acquired a new G5 or G4 PowerBook.

I don't CARE if I have to wait an extra 3 milliseconds before my computer reacts, compared to the new-fangled devices. It does the job; it does it well - AND it does it silently.

I can run all the latest video editing software I need, print out my invoices, write my inane replies on Mac Rumors, and video conference my friends at 30fps in full screen. It even plays games without a hitch...

I was lucky - I had my eye on the Cube for some time when it came out, but like many of you, I couldn't justify the hefty pricetag. Then, one day, I saw the price drop to something more manageable - and it turned out to be the best purchase I ever made. I'd buy another without question - 3 years down the track, and it's STILL working flawlessly.

Admittedly, I've made a few "adjustments" - like increasing the hard drive to a more respectable 120Gb, and adding a Radeon 7500 in place of the aging Rage 128. Both operations were quick and painless - and lengthened the longevity of my wee beastie.

That's not to say, however, that I wouldn't be in the market to buy a new Cube if one were to emerge from the dry ice and mist onstage at the next MacExpo. I'd be right in there. And my current trusty companion? Well - that'd become the central hub of my Entertainment System in the living room - complete with BlueTooth, Airport and Infra-red.

No home should really be without one!

:cool:

mrsebastian

macrumors 6502a
Nov 26, 2002
sunny san diego
we all love the cube, but it ain't gonna happen... well sorta. the only possible way we may some semblence of a cube, is through the new imac design. that said, there is absolutely no room in the line up for the cube.

idkew

macrumors 68020
Re: I WANT ONE!

Originally posted by Xerocs
I would buy one

with these specs:

2ghz g5
sATA hd ~120gb
ATI 9800 pro
one PCI slot
alu case
Audio Out/In,
DVD±RW (slotin)
up to 4gb RAM
2x512MB dual channel
for only 1,5k€

perfect game station...

any1 knows something about MAX PAYNE 2 and Battlefiled 1942 macintosh port?

so you are willing to pay 1,500.00 for GAMES? wow- can i be reborn as your kid? I would much rather spend $200 on a console and buy 100 games.

plinkoman

macrumors 65816
Jul 2, 2003
New York
Originally posted by jayscheuerle
The point is that the G5 is a lot hotter than the G4.

Those 9 fans may be quieter, but they do provide a lot more cooling.

Bottom line. $1400 G5 cube isn't going to happen. :cool:

again, most of those fans are in completely separate cooling zones, not effecting the cpu, only cooling things which could go with out cooling(seeing as they do in most computers). 2 fans per cpu, thats it, the other ones have no effect on the cpu. the G5 is not hotter then the G4, when jobs said there wouldn't be a G5 powerbook anytime soon, he said just that, never mentioned heat. if you are so sure the G5 is so hot, show me proof, like, real proof, not something jobs never said, or making the obligitory reference to the amount of fans in the case.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.